d a silver medalist in London, Hambuechens score | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
wzh123 Mai 17 '19
WIMBLEDON -- Her expression -- eyes bulging, jaw dropping -- was one of disbelief. Air Max 720 Schweiz Schuhe . And her stiff-legged walk into the dressing room Friday, after her third-round match was halted by rain just before her second match point, sure looked like one of discomfort.But for Venus Williams, who emerged 72 minutes later and closed out the match at 6-7(7), 6-2, 10-8 over No. 29 Daria Kasatkina to complete seven hours of tennis in about a 24-hour period, her motivation remains resolute.Bring it, said Williams, who will be back at it Saturday in doubles with sister Serena, who also prevailed in three sets Friday.?Of course, I want to win, but Ive got to beat some people before then. So let me try.?Let me try.Dealing with a chronic autoimmune disorder that causes extreme fatigue as well as pain and stiffness in the joints and muscles --?as if being 36 years old isnt challenging enough -- Williams continues to amaze current and former players with her endurance and spirit in her 22nd year on tour.But only a select few can relate to what makes a Grand Slam champion continue to play eight years after winning her last major title, or what she tells herself when its raining sideways and the ache wont go away and the draw isnt as seemingly kind as it is turning out to be here.With the loss of French Open champ Garbine Muguruza on Thursday, Williams became the highest-ranked player remaining in her quarter, giving her legitimate reason to think she can reach her first Grand Slam final since the Wimbledon title match?in 2009.Its not impossible, said John McEnroe.McEnroe, a fellow seven-time Slam champion, also went eight years after winning Wimbledon in 1984 until he retired from the game. While he won two more Slam doubles titles after that, Williams has won six, plus a gold medal with partner Serena at the 2012 London Olympics.Sustaining McEnroe was his return to the Wimbledon final again in 1985 and reaching three more major semifinals, including Wimbledon in 1992, his final year.Williams also reached the Wimbledon final the year after her last title, and she got to the semifinals of the US Open the year after that. But it has been a bit of a drought since then, with two quarterfinals last year capping off a slow uphill climb since her Sjogrens Syndrome diagnosis in 2011.With Williams No. 8 in the world, it is certainly a significant improvement since ending 2011 ranked No. 133, and even in 2014, when she was No. 19. But there is a difference between thinking you can win another Slam and learning to be content as a top-10 player.Shes at that point to me where shes accepted it, McEnroe said. I sort of accepted it. I didnt like the fact that I accepted it, but I was trying to juggle kids and a marriage and I thought, in a way, What else am I going to do? Its still pretty good, all in all, even though deep down in my deepest soul, feeling like probably its not going to happen.But this is where Williams still takes exception. She has played half of her career without a Slam year. But while she may be content playing a game that has awarded her $33 million in prize money alone, she left no doubt from her comments Friday that she is not satisfied if she is not contending for majors.Well, of course its nicer to be in the top 10 than not, she said.?So, yeah, thats good. I want to keep going.?I dont just want to be in the top 10 or the top eight.?Id like to continue and Id like to win majors.But theres a lot of people ahead of me, seven girls ahead of me and thousands behind me that want the same thing.?So every day is, like, focus.Jim Courier, a Hall of Famer who won four Slams in his 12-year career, and retired at 29, went without a title the last six years of his career, fighting injury and failing to get past the fourth round in his last 11 Grand Slam tournaments.But he said until the end, he always thought he had a shot.When I didnt is when I stopped, he said.When it was suggested that all champions know when it is time to retire, Courier smiled.Youd be surprised how strong denial exists within the minds of great players, he said. Venus is part and parcel of not recognizing reality when youre in battle.Facing a 20-year-old qualifier in Maria Sakkari in her second-round match Thursday, and a 19-year-old in Kasatkina on Friday, Williams had moments in both matches where she lost her rhythm, spraying groundstrokes wide on both sides, her knees unbending.But just as quickly, there was the old familiar long-limbed stretch forehand from the five-time Wimbledon champ, and her fastest second serve of the day at 90 mph in the 13th game of the third set.Sometimes its not perfect.?I wish I could be perfect every time, Williams said. I just want to get better.? When youre an athlete, great is still not enough.?You want to be extraordinary and perfect.?If you dont reach that, youre not happy.?I think every athlete here would say that -- the serious ones, at least.Courier said the fact that Williams continues to battle despite her illness is what impresses him most.For someone who has had such a legendary career, she could have very, very comfortably retired and moved onto her design business and anything else she desires because shes obviously bright and interested in a lot of things, he said. But she continues to have the passion to suffer. And thats a very admirable quality. Shes willing to suffer for her craft. And shes suffering more than most for longer than most because of what shes doing. Its something I definitely admire about her.Just let her try.When I walk out there, Im betting on myself every single time, Williams said. Thats what I have to do. Air Max 720 Günstig . -- Mike Smith never saw his first NHL goal go in. Air Max 720 Schweiz . Booth picked up 65 caps after making her national team debut in 2002 at the age of 17. She most recently played for Sky Blue FC of the National Womens Soccer League. "It just felt like it was my time to move on," she said in a phone interview from her hometown of Burlington, Ont. http://www.airmax720sale.ch/ .  Breaking three of his own world records on his way to winning in Paris, Chan silenced the critics and left the audiences standing in appreciation and awe. RIO DE JANEIRO -- Simone Biles starts each year by pulling out a notebook to write down her goals for the next 12 months. When 2016 dawned, for once she didnt get too specific.Make the Olympic team. Thats it. Better to just leave things vague.Besides, who could have written this? Eight days. Five medals. Four of them gold. The last one draped over her neck following one final show-stopping floor exercise on Tuesday.Whether Biles will leave the games as the best gymnast of all time is up for debate, a topic she will happily leave to others.I would never rank myself, Biles said. Its weird.Shed rather let her envelope-pushing performance at Rio Olympic Arena do the talking. Her final act was perhaps her greatest. On legs she joked felt like rocks, Biles put together 90 seconds of effortless joy. Her ceiling scraping tumbling and charismatic dancing -- set to Brazilian-themed music designed for exactly this moment -- ended with her bouncing off the mat before sprinting to the awaiting arms of longtime coach Aimee Boorman.The two embraced, their journey that began when Biles was 6 ending -- at least for now -- with history. Biles became the fifth female gymnast to win four golds at a single Olympic meet and the fourth to win them on the traditional events.Throw in the bronze Biles earned on balance beam Monday and the 19-year-old will have a lengthy checklist when she gets to customs on her way home to Texas.I think that she was really consistent, that was a big thing for her, Boorman said. That was the goal. Not to come in and win five golds but to show what she trained.As for what comes next -- besides the stardom that awaits back in the U.S. -- Biles is unsure. Shed like to go have a normal life for a bit, at least as normal as it can be when she gets back to suburban Houston. Turning one of the biggest sporting events in the world into your personal showcase has a way of changing things.Its kind of scary with this public eye being on me all the time, Biles said. Its rewarding but I think well get used to it.If she needs advice, she doesnt have to look far. All she has to do is ask good friend and Final Five teammate Aly Raisman. The 22-year-old team captain picked up her third medal in Brazil and sixth overall with silver on floor, a moment she wasnt sure would arrive when she began her methodical comeback two years ago.This time was harder than 2012, the training part of it, Raisman said. It was kind of hard to top (2012). Its nice that it was all worth it. Nike Air Max Schweiz. Raismans six medals are the second-most by an American female gymnast at the Olympics. The nine medals the U.S. women captured in Rio are the programs most in an Olympic meet, a fitting send off for retiring national team coordinator Martha Karolyi.Husband Bela at her side in the stands, Karolyi fought back tears as the gymnasts she called the Final Two leave little doubt as to the widening canyon between the Americans and the rest of the world. Five days after going 1-2 in the all-around, Biles and Raisman did it again with their unparalleled floor routines that including some of the most difficult passes the sport has ever seen.Im so proud of these girls, said Karolyi, who is stepping down later this month. Im going out very happy, very satisfied.Whether Raisman is going to join Karolyi in retirement is uncertain. Raisman never thought anything could top London. Yet there she was waving to the crowd on Tuesday afternoon, a gesture that doesnt mean goodbye. Maybe it was the adrenaline, but for now Tokyo 2020 remains in play.Maybe Im getting better with age, she said.For the first time in Rio, the U.S. mens team managed to keep pace with the women thanks to Danell Leyva. A bronze medalist in the all-around in London, Leyva won silver on high bar and parallel bars within 90 minutes of each other. Heady territory considering Leyva only made the Olympic team after John Orozco went down with a knee injury last month. After finishing a disappointing fifth in team finals, the American men finished with three medals overall after Alex Naddour took bronze on pommel horse.This was absolutely redemption, not only for me but for the team as well, Leyva said.Mens all-around silver medalist Oleg Verniaiev of Ukraine took gold on parallel bars, followed by Leyva and David Belyavskiy of Russia. Fabian Hambuechen of Germany finally reached the top step of the podium in the Olympics by claiming the high bar title. A bronze medalist in Beijing and a silver medalist in London, Hambuechens score of 15.766 was clear of Leyvas 15.500. Nile Wilson of Great Britain earned bronze.Ultimately though, these games belonged to Biles, who planned to celebrate with pizza and some time off. After that, who knows?Its pretty insane what Ive accomplished in my first Olympics, she said. I dont know. Its crazy.Unforgettable too. ' ' '