t Florida Atlantic on Tuesday.Kentucky: Faces Arizona State on Monday night | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
jcy123 Mai 22 '19
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Matthew Centrowitz always wanted to be an Olympic runner. Achat Air Max Pas Cher . Kind of like Matt Centrowitz.Like father, like son -- as the tattoo across his chest says. Only the son, who goes by Matthew, is bringing home a gold medal and neither he nor his dad, known as Matt, can believe it.During his victory lap after a surprise win in the 1,500 meters at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics on Saturday, the American runner suddenly spotted his dad in the stands.I was like, Are you kidding me? Centrowitz recounted. It hasnt sunk in. Were both just absolutely astonished right now.Centrowitz surprised himself as he took the lead in a leisurely paced race with about two laps remaining. He only got stronger with the finish line in sight. It was the first title in the event for the United States since Mel Sheppard won the metric mile more than 100 years ago at the 1908 London Games.Im a confident guy, Centrowitz explained. But I dont know if I was this confident.I thought, on the best day, maybe Id get a silver medal. But sure, in the back of my head, I thought I could get a gold.He was motivated by a good-luck email from running great Jim Ryun, a silver medalist in the 1,500 in 1968. He was spurred on by a rock-solid race plan -- a couple of them depending on what transpired. And he was in awe of the person handing out the gifts at the medal ceremony -- Sebastian Coe, the president of the IAAF and a middle-distance running icon.Seeing Dad and the rest of his family was a big highlight.Distance running just so happens to run in the Centrowitz family. His father represented the United States at the 1976 Montreal Games. His sister, Lauren, competed in college for Stanford.Then theres Matthew -- the confident runner who always believed he was going to be the next big thing in the 1,500.I have a lot of respect for everyone in that field, said Centrowitz, who finished fourth at the 2012 London Games, missing out on a medal by 0.04 seconds. I never took anything for granted.Thats why he had so many race plans -- so nothing would surprise him.Steadily pulling away, then holding on at the end, Centro finished in 3 minutes, 50 seconds, beating defending champion Taoufik Makhloufi of Algeria by 0.11 seconds. Nicholas Willis of New Zealand captured bronze.After crossing the line, Centrowitz looked straight ahead, stunned at what he had just done. He then dropped to his knees and put his hands on top of his head.It was that unbelievable.His dad took in the entire scene from the stands. These two are tight, so much so that the son has that tattoo across his chest that reads, Like father, like son.Matt couldnt find the right words when asked about what his sons win meant to him, responding in a text message, Wow, impossible to say.Matthew Centrowitz went to the University of Oregon, home of the late Steve Prefontaine -- the training partner of his father before Pres death in a car accident at the age of 24.The 26-year-old Centrowitz grew up hearing all the stories. He even hung posters on his wall of Prefontaine, the charismatic and talented runner who finished fourth in the 5,000 meters at the 1972 Munich Olympics.Its great to make history, Centrowitz said. Ive been joking since Ive gotten this medal, that I dont have to do anything for the rest of my career now and its not a complete failure. Air Max Pas Cher Livraison Rapide . Once again Jordan Cieciwa (@FitCityJordan) and I (@LynchOnSports) go head to head in our picks. Last weekend at UFC Fight Night 32 my #TeamLynch got the best of #TeamJC by a score of 9-6. Let us know which side youre on for UFC 167 use the hashtag #TeamLynch or #TeamJC on Twitter. Site Air Max Pas Cher . "I was fortunate to play many years at this level with a great organization and unbelievable teammates," said Hejduk in a statement. http://www.airmaxpascherfrance.fr/ . -- Los Angeles Lakers guard Jordan Farmar will be out for roughly four weeks after tearing his left hamstring. LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Other than the start, Kentucky coach John Calipari had few complaints about the top-ranked Wildcats latest domination featuring more examples of Malik Monks skills.Monk scored a career-high 26 points, DeAaron Fox added 16 and Kentucky routed UT-Martin 111-76 on Friday night, the most points scored in the Calipari Era.The taller Wildcats overcame a slow shooting start and 16-15 deficit to the athletic Skyhawks before rolling to a season-high victory margin. Kentucky (6-0) shot a season-best 55 percent from the field by controlling the paint 54-28 and the boards 48-26, along with recording 24 assists.They got our best today, Calipari said. And the way we moved the ball -- I kind of like coaching against zone and I want my team to feel like if they play zone, thats a good thing. Lets go do this.Monks 10-of-17 shooting led the way with Fox making 7 of 12 from the field. Monk has scored at least 23 points in three of his past four games and this effort featured 10 over a 1:51 stretch in the second half highlighted by back-to-back dunks. He also jumped high to swat a lob pass out of bounds.The Wildcats freshman guard wasnt available afterward, but teammates lobbed plenty of praise at Monk.I would say hes fired up, said senior guard Dominique Hawkins, who had a career-best nine assists along with six points. Hes the most exciting athlete Ive played with on a team. I dont know how he blocked that lob. He just jumped up there, cuffed it and threw it.Monk wasnt the only Wildcat to stand out.Wenyen Gabriel and Bam Adebayo, who had 12 rebounds, each had a career-high 15 points for Kentucky, which won the game that was part of a matchup of unbeaten teams in the four-game Bluegrass Showcase.Matthew Butler scored 15 points and Jacolby Mobley had 14 for UT Martin (5-2), which shot just 33 percent in the second half and 41 percent overall in having its five-game winning streak stopped.THE BIG PICTUREUT Martin: Despite givingg away several inches inside against Kentucky, the Skyhawks quickness helped their zone work early on. Chaussure Air Max Pas Cher. But they soon began sending Kentucky to the free throw line in the first half and were eventually worn down by Kentuckys height and quickness. Their length can be very problematic. It was problematic for us, first-year coach Anthony Stewart said. We thought possibly wed have a chance with our maturity and our older guys against some younger guys. It just didnt work out that way tonight.Kentucky: The Wildcats led by as many as 48 points in the second half en route to their sixth win by at least 21 points, which hasnt been done since the 1947-48 Fabulous Five won their first six games by at least 24. Calipari joked that this team might be the Fabulous Nine but noted that the fast starts depend on the competition. The docket gets much tougher with Arizona State and UCLA next week and rival Louisville ahead in December, so this was the preparation Kentucky needed. Our run of games is going to be coming now, and its how I believe we have to schedule, Calipari added.POLL IMPLICATIONSKentuckys lofty perch appears safe through Mondays next poll but will be tested with back-to-back games against Pac-12 members Arizona State and UCLA.INJURY REPORTSenior Derek Willis played just 8 minutes and Calipari said he sprained his right thumb. Sophomore guard Isaiah Briscoe meanwhile missed his second straight game and was scheduled to undergo an MRI after the game on his injured back.UP NEXTUT Martin: Returns home from the three-game road swing to host Florida Atlantic on Tuesday.Kentucky: Faces Arizona State on Monday night in the Atlantis Showcase in the Bahamas. The Wildcats are 4-0 against the Sun Devils including last years 72-58 win in Lexington.---AP College Basketball: www.collegebasketball.ap.org ' ' '