n a life lesson he needed a lot earlier than anyone expect | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
q123 Mai 25 '19
DENVER -- The Washington Nationals pitching staff is getting healthy, and with the way Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond are hitting, the defending NL East champions are hitting their stride just as summer heats up. Swell Bottle Butikk . Zimmerman homered, doubled and drove in three runs, Desmond got four hits and the Nationals beat the depleted Colorado Rockies 5-4 on Thursday. Washington has been beset by injuries to its rotation, but with the return of starter Ross Detwiler on Thursday and Stephen Strasburg expected back Sunday, the Nationals feel confident heading into the last 97 games of the season. They trail Atlanta by 5 1/2 games in the division. "For us as a team right now, with the things that have gone on and the things that have happened, we just need to grind it out and stay where were at and stay within striking distance," Zimmerman said. "And then hopefully once we get going or maybe this is the start of that, where we can have a good 20-game span. Then all of a sudden were right back in it." The immediate future isnt as rosy for the Rockies, who lost four players and a coach, as well as the rubber match of the three-game series. Outfielders Carlos Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler were injured early and shortstop Troy Tulowitzki left with a rib injury in the eighth inning. Reliever Wilton Lopez and pitching coach Jim Wright were ejected in the seventh. Tulowitzkis injury appears to be the most serious. He left Coors Field to have an MRI done on his ribs, which manager Walt Weiss said have been sore for "about a week." The Rockies hoped to get the results of the MRI later Thursday. "Just hope the MRI doesnt show any damage and hopefully hell be day to day also," Weiss said. " Craig Stammen (4-2) threw two scoreless innings and Rafael Soriano got his 17th save after giving up an RBI single to pinch-hitter Todd Helton with two outs. Zimmermans RBI double off reliever Matt Belisle (4-3) in the eighth broke a tie, and he later scored on Desmonds infield single to make it 5-3. Tulowitzki, who was injured trying to make a play on Desmonds single, was replaced by a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the eighth, straining an already short Rockies bench. Gonzalez was hit near the ankle by a foul ball while on deck in the first inning and exited with a bruised left foot. The Rockies said X-rays were negative and listed the All-Star left fielder as day to day. Fowler was hit on the right hand by a pitch from Detwiler after squaring to bunt in the third. A team trainer looked at Fowler, and the centre fielder stayed in for another inning. Weiss said X-rays on Fowlers hand were negative and he is also day to day. "It was numb, I felt it swelling up," Fowler said. "Obviously I couldnt grip the bat so I couldnt hit. I just know it was hurting and swelling up. I dont think I had a chance to grip the bat." Detwiler was activated from the 15-day DL and made his first start since May 15. He lasted five innings, giving up three runs on six hits and striking out two. He was in line for the loss until the seventh, when things got heated between the umpiring crew and the Rockies. Desmond led off with a single and stole second. With two outs, Lopez was called for two balks, scoring Desmond to tie it at 3. The first balk was called by home plate umpire James Hoye and second base ump Bob Davidson. Jim Reynolds at third base called the second one. Crew chief John Hirschbeck said both balks were because Lopez used a stop-start motion with the hands. "Actually, he did it three times. They only called it twice," Washington manager Davey Johnson said. "He kept going toward his glove, and then he would stop. They called two out of three. But you cant be moving toward your glove and stop. Its an automatic balk." Lopez shouted at Hirschbeck at first base as he left the field after the inning ended and was ejected. Wright was tossed by Reynolds when he was giving Reynolds "the crazy gesture from the dugout," Hirschbeck said. "If youre going to call it once, you got to call it twice," Desmond said. "You got to keep on calling it. Consistency. They did a good job. Thats what we expect." The Rockies were in control before then. Tyler Colvin, who replaced Gonzalez, had an RBI single in the first and Michael Cuddyer drove in a run with a double in the fourth and later scored on a groundout to give the Rockies a 3-2 lead. Zimmerman had given the Nationals a 2-1 lead with a two-run homer in the third, his seventh of the season, the only blemish in an otherwise strong start for Jeff Francis. Francis entered Thursday with a tenuous hold on his spot in the Rockies rotation. He had a shaky start against San Diego on Saturday in his first outing since coming off the 15-day DL because of a groin strain. He needed 93 pitches to get through four innings against the Padres, and with veteran Roy Oswalt pitching well in the minors, Francis role with the Rockies was in question. Francis made his case with a solid outing against the Nationals. He allowed two runs on five hits and struck out eight, his most since May 24, 2008. "Its hard to be really happy when dont win the game," Francis said. NOTES: Desmond extended his hitting streak to a career-high 15 games. ... Strasburg (strained lat muscle) threw a successful bullpen session Thursday and is on track to start Sundays game at Cleveland. ... Cuddyer returned to the lineup after missing five games with a strained rib cage. ... To make room for Detwiler, the Nationals optioned RHP Erik Davis to Triple-A Syracuse. Swell Norge . Robinson finished with 17 points, all but two in the second half, and Lawson had 14 after halftime and finished with a game-high 11 assists as the Nuggets handed Dallas its first home loss in eight games this season. J.J. Hickson led Denver with 22, and Kenneth Faried added 10 points and 10 rebounds. Swell Flaske Marmor . Philadelphia is 2-0 against the Senators this season and scored five goals in each victory. The Flyers recorded a 5-0 win in Ottawa on Nov. 12 and then earned a 5-2 home decision on Nov. 19. The Flyers have claimed three straight and four of the last five encounters with the Sens overall and Philly has won two in a row and three of its past four tests in Canadas capital city. http://www.swellflaskenorge.com/swell-flaske-marmor.html . You can watch the game live on TSN at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt. The Flyers had won seven of eight before dropping their last two outings on consecutive days over the weekend. Philadelphia was handed a 6-3 loss by the visiting Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday afternoon before dropping a 4-1 decision to the Rangers the following night in New York City. The game was meaningless, an exhibition against the College of Idaho, but Bobby Smith wasnt about to miss it. He hadnt seen his son play basketball in two years -- it had been two years since anyone had seen Ray Smith in a game.Stymied by two ACL tears, one in each knee, Ray missed his final season of high school ball and what should have been his first year at Arizona. Healthy and cleared, hed finally don his No. 24 jersey on Nov. 1 and show off the skills that made him a five-star prospect.Bobby took his seat in the McKale Center. He wasnt nervous. He was petrified, more on pins and needles than excited as Ray entered the game for the first time early in the first half. He watched his sons every step and every cut and, try as he might, couldnt dismiss a nagging in the back of his brain that his son just didnt look right. Maybe Ray was nervous, Bobby thought, not really trusting his knee.Finally, Ray drained two free throws, and Bobby relaxed a little bit. When he saw his boy hit a jumper with six minutes gone in the second half, he exhaled.Two minutes later, at the 12:52 mark, Ray drove to the basket for a layup. He missed the shot and came down awkwardly, immediately signaling for Justin Kokoskie, the teams athletic trainer, making a slashing motion across his neck.That nagging fear exploded into all-out panic and Bobby ran on the court, following Ray into the Arizona locker room.Two days later, an MRI would reveal the official diagnosis. Ray Smith didnt need a test or even a doctor. The 19-year-old had heard the pop and felt the all-too-familiar searing pain. He knew. For the third time in 27 months, hed torn his ACL.Its over, he said to Kokoskie and his dad. Im done with basketball. Ive done everything I could. Some things just arent meant to be.Later Ray would post a heartfelt tweet, thanking Arizona coach Sean Miller, his teammates, the medical staff, and Kokoskie for their hard work, formally announcing his retirement from the game.BASKETBALL youve been GREAT, he wrote. But the 6-8 long athletic wing that can play multiple positions is out *DROPS THE MIC.*Just like that, at 19, he retired from the game.Except thats not really the case. We havent heard the last from Ray Smith.Not by a long shot.WHEN HE CALLED TO ASK HIS DAD about staying with him, Ray was failing -- not just one subject, but pretty much every one, his transcript in such disarray that his ninth grade year might as well have been a wash.His parents had long ago divorced, and since Bobby was in the military for years, Ray lived with his mother. Hed asked to move in with his dad before, but it was more the work of an immature kid playing one parent off the other. This time Ray insisted he meant it. So Bobby offered the ground rules -- a serious commitment to staying with him full time, no matter the structure; attention to grades; and obeying the rules of his house.Ray agreed, and after a court battle -- his mother fought surrendering custodial rights -- moved in with Bobby, who had since remarried. A few months later, Bobby woke up late at night to find Ray, fully dressed, trying to sneak out of the house.That night we had a talk, a real man-to-man conversation, Bobby said. And that was literally the only issue we had. He got his grades straight and his mind right.Ray Smith also got his basketball in gear. After his sophomore year, when he averaged a respectable 10.8 points and 3.5 boards per game at Las Vegas High School, Smith blossomed into a star, averaging 24.7 points and 6 rebounds as a junior and rising to No. 29 in the ESPN 100.He dazzled college scouts throughout the summer circuit, making his last stop at the Adidas Unrivaled camp in Chicago. There, with schools such as Georgetown, Louisville, UCLA and Arizona interested in him, he tore the ACL in his left knee. Hed already told Miller that he planned to become an Arizona Wildcat, and four days later publicly announced his intention.Wed never had a player not play his senior year and join the program, Miller said. But kids come back from injuries all the time. It was an easy call for us.Kokoskie and the Arizona medical staff kept close watch on Smiths rehab process. They were in constant contact with his Las Vegas-based doctors. When Smith got to campus, Kokoskie saw a player who had treated his rehab with the proper attention and was more than ready to go.A few days into the start of formal practices, Smith went down again, this time tearing the ACL in his right knee.That one was the worst, Smith said. The first one, I was working to get to Arizona. I was just going to work my butt off to get there. The second one, Im sitting there on the bench thinking, Man. I should be out there. I should be able to play.Kokoskie treated the second rehab like a full-body makeover. He tackled Smiths nutrition and made sure he strengthened his core as well as both knees. He fitted Smith with orthotics and proper shoes, even had him take multiple blood tests to make sure the medical teeam wasnt missing anything. Swell Flaske Butikk. He progressed so well that he wound up leg-pressing more weight than anyone in the program -- ever.Rather than rush Smith back, Kokoskie was deliberately cautious, holding him out through this past summer even though he technically could have played. Rather than coddle him, Miller made sure to hold Ray accountable. He didnt excuse his redshirt freshman from work or try to make things easier for him, and Smith didnt want that. In the entirety of the preseason, Smith missed only one day of practice.He put in all of the work, Miller said. And hes never going to have the reward. To see a kids dream end like that ...RAY SMITHS BEST FRIEND CALLED Smith in tears, and his Twitter feed blew up with as many cries at the unfairness of it all as wishes to get well.Bobby Smith sighed when he was asked how often hell ask himself what if.For the rest of my life, he said.Ray Smith, meantime, said he has never asked the question most kids in his position might: Why me?The road you want isnt always the road for you, he said simply. Youve got to find a new one.It sounds sincere, an adults perspective coming from of a teenager whose life just took a ridiculously rotten detour. Smith says he gained perspective from the slaying of a high school friend and from people who have hit him up on social media, some with far worse problems, yet called him an inspiration.His acceptance runs deeper than that. There are no what ifs because Smith knows he worked as hard as he could, checked all the rehab to-do list boxes. His body simply said no. Though he wont close the door to basketball entirely -- 98 percent sure, Id say -- gone is the fervor to make yet another comeback. Instead, Smith is trying to refocus his considerable energy on that new path.His career may be over. His life is just beginning.Im not bitter because now I just know Ill just put my time and sleepless nights and effort into something else, he said.What that something else is remains to be seen. He does not lack for personality or confidence. Before his injury he made a star turn in a lip-syncing contest and has since tried his hand at broadcasting. He made a cameo in the managers mannequin challenge and Arizona even edited its pregame hype video, one filled with former Wildcats, to end with Smith announcing This is Arizona.Still on scholarship, he will fill the role of student-coach for the Wildcats this season. Hed like to teach kids the intricacies of the game, beyond just the fundamentals. Or maybe hell get into broadcasting. His path is wide open.First comes the more daunting business of yet another surgery, scheduled for Wednesday. Rehab will be more arduous. In addition to his ACL, Smith tore his meniscus, which Kokoskie explained is the cushioning for the knee. If not treated properly, this tear could lead to arthritis and even knee replacement later in life.Though Smith may not see it yet, the mental recovery likely will be more difficult. Rehab is lonely for any athlete, the solitary monotony of achieving baby steps while teammates go on with the season. For Smith, there wont even be the carrot dangling in front of him, no season or next game to chase.My son is very good at letting people know that hes OK, but I have to deal with when hes not OK, Bobby Smith said. Hes handled it so well, but I know there are some tough days ahead.BOBBY SMITH ADMITS hell have some rough times, too, and already has. After tending to his son the night of the injury, Bobby returned to his Tucson hotel room. His phone buzzing with calls and texts from concerned friends, he was up all night answering them and trying to come to grips with his sons new reality.As it is for any parent with a child who has a passion, Rays love for basketball became Bobbys. He spent years driving his son to and from practices, sitting on creaky bleachers to watch games, agonizing over every failure and celebrating every success. He studied recruiting rankings as hard as his boy did and maneuvered the tricky college recruitment process step by step with Ray.I didnt care if my son was an NBA player until he cared, Bobby said. His success didnt determine my income. I didnt get into this so I could have a rich son. This was his dream, and so it became my dream.A long time ago Bobby told his son that basketball was what he did, not who he was. As Bobby drove Ray to games and practices, he also drove home that message over and over again. He wanted to keep Ray grounded, to make sure his priorities didnt get out of whack.Turns out he was giving his son a life lesson he needed a lot earlier than anyone expected.Ill miss basketball a lot, Ray Smith said. But everyones career eventually ends. Mine just ended a little sooner than everyone else. Basketball doesnt define who I am. Im not sure exactly who that is yet. I know Ill figure it out. ' ' '