h with a single, took second on a wild pitch and reached third on a groundout. With the infield in, Gausma | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
jcy123 Jul 19 '19
ERFURT, Germany -- Juergen Klinsmann, who won the World Cup with Germany in 1990 and is now coaching the United States, has been named an honorary captain of the German national team.Klinsmann became the fifth player to receive the distinction after Fritz Walter, Uwe Seeler, Franz Beckenbauer and Lothar Matthaeus.Klinsmann won the World Cup with Beckenbauer as coach and later became Germanys captain, winning the 1996 European Championship. He played in 108 matches, with 36 as its captain, and coached host Germany to third place in the 2006 World Cup.Receiving the honor at a ceremony, Klinsmann said the national team was always something special with unforgettable moments, encounters and friendships.Federation president Reinhard Grindel said Klinsmann had always taken unconventional paths to give German football important impulses. BALTIMORE -- Kevin Gausman did his part, holding the Detroit Tigers in check for six innings while baffling reigning AL MVP Miguel Cabrera. Still, the Orioles rookie was in position to absorb his third straight loss -- until Chris Davis and Baltimore finally got the best of tiring Rick Porcello in a 4-2 victory Sunday. Davis hit his major league-leading 20th homer to ignite a three-run seventh inning for the Orioles, who took two of three from Detroit. Baltimore also rallied on Friday against the defending American League champs after trailing by two runs in the ninth. "Its obviously huge to win the series at home, especially against those guys with that pitching staff and that lineup," said Davis, who had two hits and scored twice. Making his third major league start, Gausman displayed the form that made him the fourth overall pick in the 2012 draft. The right-hander went six innings, allowing one run and five hits, striking out four and walking none over six innings in his first game at Camden Yards. "I felt comfortable today," Gausman said. "I thought today was the most polished and most calm since Ive been up here. Obviously, it was fun and I made my debut here today so that was something Ill never forget." Gausman came in with an 11.00 ERA after yielding seven runs in four innings at Washington on Tuesday. The 22-year-old retired the last six batters he faced, ending the outing by slipping a third strike past Cabrera -- who also hit into two double plays. "Hes the best hitter in the game. I just tried to make my pitches and keep everything down," Gausman said. "If you dont have a good inning against him, he can make you pay for it. It was a good battle. It was fun." Brian Matusz (2-0) got the win despite giving up a run in the seventh, Darren ODay worked the eighth and Jim Johnson got three outs for his 18th save. Prince Fielder homered and scored both runs for the Tigers, who have lost five of six. Porcello (2-3) lost for the first time in seven starts since April 20. Porcello was working on a three-hitter and took a 2-0 lead into the seventh before things unraveled. After Davis homered, Chris Dickerson singled and took third on a single by J.J. Hardy. Phil Coke entered and gave up an RBI single to pinch-hitter Danny Valencia.dddddddddddd Two batters later, Nate McLouth grounded a broken-bat single up the middle to bring home pinch-runner Alexi Casilla for a 3-2 lead. "He (Porcello) was kind of running out of gas and that was obviously a good chance for us to get into the bullpen," Davis said. "He had pretty much been dominating us the whole game. ... He threw me a hanging changeup and I hit it out and we started rolling after that." If he could do it over again, Tigers manager Jim Leyland would have gone to his bullpen to start the seventh. "I botched it, it was my fault," he said. "(Porcello) was pitching terrific, but the way the lineup set up, I should have made the move in the seventh. I didnt make it and it cost us." It was all going so well for the Tigers -- until then. "One swing of the bat can turn the momentum in a hurry," Detroits Torii Hunter said. "The momentum carried after his home run and they ran with it." Doubles by Davis and Casilla against Darren Downs in the eighth made it 4-2. After Gausman left, Matusz came in to start the seventh and promptly gave up a double to Fielder, who came around to score on singles by Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta. Early on, Porcello and Gausman locked in an engaging pitchers duel. Gausman had just gotten Cabrera to hit into a second double play in the fourth inning when Fielder drove a 3-0 pitch into the right-field seats. Peralta led off the Detroit fifth with a single, took second on a wild pitch and reached third on a groundout. With the infield in, Gausman retired Ramon Santiago on a bouncer to first base before Avisail Garcia grounded out. NOTES: Baltimore turned a season-high four double plays. ... Baltimores Adam Jones went 0 for 4 with four strikeouts. ... The Tigers acquired 3B Francisco Martinez from Seattle for player to be named or cash. ... Baltimore and Detroit both have Monday off. The Orioles resume play in Houston on Tuesday, and the Tigers host Tampa Bay. ... Baltimore pinch-hitters were 1 for 18 before Valencia delivered in the seventh. Valencias only other hit as a pinch-hitter came in 2010. ... It was the eighth time Detroit has lost when leading after six innings. ' ' '