er efforts wont staner efforts wont stan | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
q123 Dez 23 '19
NEW YORK -- It seems surreal, but this US Open is the first Grand Slam since the 2004 French Open that doesnt have either Roger Federer, Andy Murray or Rafael Nadal in the semifinals. Fausse Air Force 1 Pas Cher . Top seed Novak Djokovic is the only representative of the Big Four left in the singles. That seems to put him back on track to win his third major of 2016. Or does it? Heres what you need to know:How to watch all the action FridayAt noon ET, the mixed-doubles final between No. 7 Coco Vandeweghe/Rajeev Ram and Laura Siegemund/Mate Pavic will begin on ESPN2 & WatchESPN.?Click to watchAt noon ET, a number of American juniors will be in action on the outer courts. Click to watch?At 3 p.m. ET, the mens semifinals will begin on ESPN & WatchESPN. Click to watchTo view starting times of upcoming days at the US Open, click here.?Live scoringOur real-time scoreboard, updated stats and social handles can be found in one spot: US Open CourtCast.?Fridays mens semifinals breakdownNo. 1 Novak Djokovic versus No. 10 Gael Monfils, 3 p.m. ET on ESPN and WatchESPNCase for Djokovic: The Serbian star came into this tournament hoping that his injured wrist and an unspecified right-arm problem wouldnt wreck his chances over the course of a punishing two-week major played under grueling late-summer conditions. He ominously hinted that he was hoping just to get through the beginning of the event and take his chances from there. But the tennis gods must look upon Djokovic with great favor, because its almost as if he couldnt help making it into the semis. He has played just nine-plus sets, benefiting from a walkover and two retirements. Hes hit enough balls under fire to be seasoned, but his wrist and arm have been spared and given extra recovery time. This much luck must make him confident as well. And to top it off, while Monfils was Djokovics feared junior rival, Novak is 12-0 in their pro matches.Case for Monfils: The whippet-lean Frenchman won the most significant singles title of his career a few weeks ago in Washington, D.C. For a player of his talent, that simply isnt an adequate career best. Monfils seems to know it, too. Hes been playing this summer with a new and uncharacteristic sense of purpose. Hes won 19 straight sets on hard courts since losing to Kei Nishikori (after holding a match point) at the Rio Olympics. Monfils must continue to play aggressive, first-strike tennis and serve with gusto. He must also avoid challenging Djokovic to rallying contests -- even if they give Monfils great opportunities to show off his spectacular retrieving abilities.Prediction: Djokovic in fourNo. 3 Stan Wawrinka versus No. 6 Kei Nishikori, after Djokovic-MonfilsCase for Wawrinka: After surviving a scare in the third round versus Dan Evans, Wawrinka thanked the crowd for believing in me sometimes more than I believe in myself. The reality is that the pundits and camp followers often overlook him in their focus on the Big Four, even though hes won the same amount of majors as Nadal and Andy Murray since the start of 2014 (two). Nobody, but nobody, is more dangerous than when Wawrinka is at the top of his game. Twenty percent of his shots at the US Open have been winners; thats tied for eighth-best in the tournament, and only one other semifinalist can match him. Wawrinka will likely try to smother Nishikori and keep him from turning the match into a track meet. Wawrinka leads this rivalry 3-2.Case for Nishikori: The conventional wisdom casts Nishikori as a baseline grinder. Its a deceptive oversimplification. This years youngest Open semifinalist at 26, Nishikori doesnt have enough pop on his serve to build a conventional attacking game. Instead, he uses his quickness and mastery of angles to open up the court and force an error or win a point outright. Thats why he, not the spectacular Monfils or the precise Djokovic, is one of three men tied with Wawrinka in the winners stats department in New York. This match will be loaded with David vs. Goliath overtones. Nishikoris game plan will be to get one more ball back, thereby increasing his chances to wear down Wawrinka and/or tease out an error.Prediction: Wawrinka in three Yeezy 350 Acheter . "No difference at all," chirped U.S. roommate and linemate James van Riemsdyk. "Its still the same cranky Phil. Acheter Yeezy 350 v2 . -- Peyton Manning will have all of his wide receivers available for the first time in a month when the Denver Broncos begin their playoff run Jan. http://www.airmaxpaschervente.fr/destockage-old-skool-france.html . The 25-year-old Japanese star has officially been posted by his club team, the Rakuten Golden Eagles. In the euphoria of Nepals widely broadcasted wins against Hong Kong and Afghanistan in the 2014 World T20 in Bangladesh, cricket captured the nations imagination. Here was a sport that the country could compete in at the elite level, a team that could do the proud nation some good. Not long after, Nepal was granted T20 international status, raising hopes of seeing them play more regularly on the international stage.Suddenly everyone was a cricket fan. Games of cricket started popping up in backyards and open spaces. The sport became a regular topic of conversation in teashops and bars. The popularity of cricket fuelled hope that a proper domestic league would finally be set up. Looking into the future, cricket fans saw Nepal playing ODIs, and eventually Test cricket, on a regular basis.A few months after Nepals remarkable performance in Bangladesh, and under pressure from the ICC to professionalise its management, the Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) hired 31-year-old Bhawana Ghimire as its first CEO. When news of her appointment filtered out, it was greeted with both fanfare and scepticism. Was she the best choice? Was she a political pawn? People were excited to see a new face, a young face, at a time when the CAN board was overseen by the 83-year-old Tarini Bikram Shah. To top it off, a woman had been appointed to professionalise a sporting institution that had, for all of Shahs eight decades, been rooted in patriarchy and aristocracy. Was it even possible?Despite CANs entrenched problems and notoriously storied politics, Ghimire had no hesitation in taking on the job. I anticipated challenges, she said to me in February. But cricket has so much potential in Nepal and I felt that I could contribute to make it the biggest sport in Nepal.Ghimire instantly became a celebrity. Her mandate included maintaining communications with the Asian Cricket Council (ACC), ICC, and Nepals governing bodies; running the CAN office; and reaching out to sponsors and other stakeholders for the promotion of cricket. Leveraging her new-found fame, Ghimire consistently pushed her agenda of professionalising cricket. She worked closely with Pubudu Dassanayake, the former Sri Lanka wicketkeeper-turned-Nepal coach, to draft a 70-page five-year plan.Six months into the job she presented the plan to the board. It was never approved. I dont know if anyone even read it, she says with sadness.Taking on responsibility has been a cornerstone of Ghimires upbringing. The oldest of three siblings, she raised her brother and sister in Kathmandu after they moved from their parental village in Arghakhanchi. She was in sixth grade at the time.It was the first time I had seen or ridden a bus. It was all new to me, she says, before going silent and reflective. I guess I left my childhood in the village. My mother stayed back in the village and when my father was at work, I had to be the responsible one. My father enrolled me in Padma Kanya Higher Secondary School, and I remember, on the third day I went to school all by myself. It sounds trivial now, but that day, after I got home, I felt like I had become an independent woman.Ghimire isnt an imposing figure but she carries herself with measured confidence. She is smartly dressed in a suit, and her eyes hold a steady resolve, a trait she has relied on when dealing with the mighty men of CAN. Unlike most Nepali girls, who are raised to be obedient wives, Ghimire grew up in a household that encouraged her to be freethinking and independent. Its always been like that with my family, she shrugs. I was given the freedom to choose what I studied and what I did. I never had to think about things in a gendered sense until I got this job.Growing up in Kathmandu, Ghimire dreamt of working in a bank. For many young Nepalis growing up in the 1990s, banks were an oasis of professionalism in an economy that was mostly informal. Pursuing her dream, she got a Bachelors in business administration in Kathmandu and then an MBA in banking and finance from the University of Wales in Bangor. After working in a bank in Nepal for a few months, she moved to Bahrain to join an asset management company.By then traditional banking had lost its charm on me and I wanted to do something new, she explains. For the next three and a half years, she had the opportunity to work on a number of sports events and the acquisition of some sporting companies. I did a lot of research on sports clubs. I studied football clubs and some IPL clubs and came to know how sports clubs operated.At a time when many Nepalis were actively seeking to leave the country in search of greener pastures, Ghimire chose to return to Kathmandu in 2010. Well, I always knew I would come back and I always intended on coming back, she says laughing. I had a dream of coming back to Nepal and establishing my own company.Four years on, she got the call from CAN.When I first met Ghimire, in February, Nepal were playing in the Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh while the two CAN boards, both contesting legitimacy, were mired in a court battle. As we talked, we saw the Nepal top order crumble against Pakistan. We were sitting in a corporate-looking office and the game was being shown on a large flat-screen TV in the lobby. This is my husbands office, she revealed in the lull between overs. We cant work out of the CAN office since there is nothing there - no computers, no Wi-Fi.Nepal tumbled to 29 for 4 in the tenth over, chasing 259. Our boys are inexperienced, Ghimire stated, more to console herself. Theyve hardly gotten any training or serious coaching.I suggested that the U-19 team must be extremely talented to have beaten New Zealand and Ireland on their way to the quarter-finals. Raw talent, but from here on if they dont get the kind of support and training that the New Zealand and Ireland players will get, they wont be able to keep up. She felt responsible for making sure that they kept up.The team also had to put up with a dysfunctional CAN. This whole tour is running on credit, she said, exasperated. The players and coaches are having to spend their own money to represent their country.The energy and love for the game among players and fans has encouraged the ACC and ICC to continue to support Nepal. On a number of occasions, international boards have gone to great lengths to overlook CANs politics and ensure Nepals teams could participate in tournaments. Yet Nepal crickets current predicament is not unexpected. The last sport to capture the national psyche was football in the late 1980s and 1990s. Most of its aspirations died within a political quagmire. When the president of the All Nepal Football Association (ANFA) was suspended over charges of corruption in last years FIFA scandal, no one raised an eyebrow.To understand the latest twist in the CAN story one must go back to December last year, when the National Sports Council (NSC), citing procedural inconsistencies, refused to recognise the newly elected CAN board. The NSC appointed its own 15-member board under a different leadership - which led to a court case that is currently held up in the Supreme Court. With the fate of CAN stuck in the courts for months, the ICC board stepped in on April 26 and suspended CANs membership, until CAN becomes free of government interference and is properly structured to begin exploiting the tremendous cricket talent and opportunities that exist in Nepal. However, the ICC board stated that it would allow the national team to continue featuring in ICC events, and retained Ghimire to oversee cricket operations.Ghimire helped the ICC coordinate Nepals visit to the Netherlands for two games in August this year, as part of its World Cricket League (WCL) Championship. Nepal lost the first match by seven wickets but bounced back to win the second by 19 runs. Vente Air Max Pas Cher. In preparation for these matches, the ICC helped organise a tour of England in July, where Nepal beat the Marylebone Cricket Club in front of over 5000 adoring fans at Lords.In her quest to professionalise CAN, Ghimire has required incredible patience. Four to six presidents - depending on whom you consider legitimate - passed through CAN during her tenure. She worked under a board beset by court cases, infighting, and periodic bank freezes, combined with increased media scrutiny. While there have been marked improvements in the last year and a half, the instability of the board has meant progress has been tentative. When annual contracts for the players were announced in January last year, it was greeted with unanimous approval as a move towards professionalising the sport. With CAN operationally defunct, these contracts are yet to be renewed.The two Nepal-Namibia games in April, part of the WCL Championship, were shrouded in uncertainty for many months. The ICC confirmed the venue a month before the games, only after deciding to take over all administrative responsibilities. Nepal won both matches and record numbers turned out to watch, but the spectre of a deadweight cricket board hung over the games.About a month before the matches were to be played, I sat on a concrete pipe that serves as a bench in Kathmandu Cricket Training Center (KCTC) and waited for Gyanendra Malla, Nepals vice-captain. KCTC occupies a small space two kilometres north of Nepals premier cricket stadium - the Tribhuvan University (TU) Cricket Ground. Five teenage boys were singing old Hindi film love songs, chatting and laughing as they took turns bowling and batting in the nets.Malla was easy-going and personable. His words came easy and precise. Watching him on TV doesnt give you the sense of how imposingly built he is and how his persona can fill the room. I asked him how the turmoil in CAN was affecting the team. It affects Nepali cricket for sure, makes everything difficult, but it doesnt really affect our morale, he explained. When we started, playing for our country was enough. That reason for playing has not changed.When I brought up the issue of contracts, he shrugged. They havent renewed it, but its not like we were not playing when we didnt have contracts. So what was the biggest fallout from the CAN drama, I asked. We dont have a permanent coach and we dont have a cricket calendar, Malla said. We cant plan anything in advance. Our competitors have their cricket calendar set for the next two, three, five years. We dont know what we will be doing in two months. It makes it incredibly hard for us to prepare for our upcoming matches.The national teams recent on-field success has meant access to larger pots of international funds, larger allocations within the national budget, and larger sponsorship deals. This has also meant that power brokers and politicians have come circling, like scavengers around carrion. Like with every other sport and industry in the country, the dreams of Nepali cricket have long been held hostage by the power of a few.I asked Malla what he thought about the way the sport was governed. What we really need is a change in mentality, he said. We need people to come into cricket thinking of what they can give to the sport, not what they can take from it.The players arent alone in bearing the brunt of the administrative mess. Later that day I met Madhu Tamang, the head groundsman of the TU Cricket Ground, and found that he hadnt been paid for four months. This was in March, when the country was reeling from an acute shortage of fuel and cooking gas, and facing political turmoil. In the Madhes, the flat lowlands in the south, protesters unhappy with the countrys new constitution had blocked all roads to Kathmandu. The government ignored their demands and blamed India for the fuel crisis. This sparked a strong wave of unitary nationalism, which the government exploited to violently suppress the protesters. Over 50 people lost their lives.Tamang was confident that his 13-member team would eventually get paid. He had witnessed a number of upheavals in CAN and not getting paid during such transitions had become routine. I asked how he managed to maintain the ground when CAN was defunct and the nation was reeling under a fuel crisis. I was getting some fuel from the office, he said, but recently Ive been buying it off the black market. For someone who had not drawn a salary for four months, to go out and purchase 15 litres of petrol - at an exorbitant rate of about US$5 a litre - to water a pitch is as heroic as it is foolhardy. It is also very Nepali.When I asked Ghimire what would allow the players, groundsmen and their support teams to be able to do their jobs without being held hostage by the politics of the board, she had a clear road map in mind. We need to reform the way cricket is managed in Nepal. We need a board that defines guidelines for management, sets financial controls, and then allows management to run day-to-day operations. We have a three-year agreement with Nepal Telecom for a yearly NPR 15.5 million (or about $155,000) sponsorship deal to support a T20 league and a domestic league [the biggest deal in Nepal sports], but without a governing body, we havent been able to act!Ghimire also sold exclusive television rights for international cricket matches to Nepal TV for NPR 1.8 million per year (about $18,000) but the lack of cricket has been a major turn-off for potential sponsors. Its very easy for sponsors to shift from cricket to football in Nepal, Ghimire said. If we cant deliver games, they will start shifting. The turmoil in CAN has meant that Nepal cricket has been unable to secure grants of upwards of a million dollars from the ICC. And even that, according to Ghimire, would not be sufficient. We need to raise at least another million dollars in sponsorship on top of the ICC funding, she said. Thats how much we would need to really develop our domestic league and improve the standard of Nepali cricket.Does she think that is possible? Absolutely! We have a great team and raw talent. We can host a domestic league, T20 tournaments, one-day tournaments, U-21, U-19, womens and college tournaments. This is not even considering the scope of international matches and tournaments in Nepal. Each of these have to be developed. Each can have their own sponsors. But we need to build a system that can manage and run it.Early in July, with CANs court case set to continue, Ghimire officially tendered her resignation to the NSC. She said that she would continue to work under the ICC to oversee operations for Nepals national teams. In an interview to onlinekhabar.com, she spoke about her inability to fulfil her role as CEO. With two CAN boards, some say I am the CEO, others deny it. This means that even as CEO, I cant do anything. I can neither pay the players nor the employees. I can neither secure sponsorship nor run domestic tournaments.Nepal is fortunate that the ICC and ACC retain great hope for cricket in the country. There is a crop of players, coaching and support staff who are willing to give their sweat and time for pride and honour alone. But fortune and volunteer efforts wont stand the test of time. If cricket is to be a consistent feature of the countrys sports leagues and if they are to field a team that challenges for international honours, the people who claim to own the keys to Nepal crickets governing body must match the spirit of the players who have done this nation proud. ' ' '