he course of the back, the timing of the play, whate | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
wzh123 Dez 23 '19
In September 2013, Helena Scutt and Paris Henken were racing one of the fastest -- and newest -- sailboats added to the Rio Olympics. Magic Jerseys China . Henken, then 17, was a high school junior and Scutt was a junior at Stanford -- and they were representing the United States at the 49erFX world championships in Marseille, France.On the fourth day of racing, the two athletes were sailing upwind, their bodies fully outstretched over the water. As they approached a turnaround point, a German boat, going the opposite direction, was suddenly heading straight at them.A slew of other boats were packed tightly around them. There was nowhere to escape. Collision was inevitable.But the two boats didnt hit head-on. Instead, the German monohull rammed into Scutts torso at full force.I dont know if they didnt see us or what, said Scutt, who was sailing closest to the bow. They didnt make a move to avoid us because if they did, theyd heel and I wouldnt have been hit where I was.In the end, Scutts left side absorbed the entire impact of the crash. The force also catapulted Henken into the Mediterranean. When race traffic finally dissipated, a motorboat made its way to the sailors. Scutt was pulled in, badly hurt.She didnt want to be touched, but she wanted her gear off, Henken recalled. I lifted up her shirt and her whole side was black and red.Scutt broke two ribs, lacerated a kidney, and fractured a vertebra in her lower back.None of it required surgery, but when Scutt was discharged from the French hospital and reunited with Henken at their apartment in Marseille, Henken was emotionally distraught. As the skipper, Henken was steering.I kept saying, I should have done more. I should have done more, Henken said, and she kept reassuring me that it wasnt my fault, even though, technically, the German boat had the right of way.Scutt also reassured her that the crash wouldnt mark the end of their career together.Im still amazed, Henken said. She was so motivated. She knew right away she wanted to continue. And I was fully on-board, although I definitely wasnt going to force her into it one way or another.Scutt lost about 12 pounds of muscle mass during her recovery from the accident, but her range of motion was fine, and by late January 2014, she was back in the 49erFX.I was scared -- definitely -- of close situations in a fast boat, Scutt said, yet she knew that every day she raced, her boat would be going in the same direction as it had in 2013 and face other boats coming around the buoy the same way that the German boat did. Its inevitable, she said.Nevertheless, two years later, Scutt, now 24, and Henken, now 20, qualified for the Rio Olympics.During a break in their Olympic preparations, the duo discussed how they overcame their trepidations and reestablished their trust -- and the advice theyd give to other athletes whove been in bad accidents.Eliminate guiltScutt could see that Henken was devastated because she had been steering. I kept telling her that it wasnt her fault. No one wants that guilt, she said. Scutt was right.After she reassured me that I wasnt to blame, Henken said, that was enough for me to get over my emotional fear.Talk to the prosBefore Scutt got back in the boat, she consulted a sports psychologist. He could tell I was passionate, she said. His advice was not to push myself too soon. He said ease into it and look long term.She also got help from her teammate. Reach out to people, Henken advised. Theyre there to help. Im really lucky to have Helena and shes lucky to have me. We were so strong before, and we immediately bonded even more. If an incident happens, make sure you lean on someone else; dont do it alone.Give yourself time for the memory to fadeI think [this] happens to a lot of people who have trauma, Scutt said. The split second I knew that the boat was going to hit but I couldnt do anything about it -- that snapshot kept running through my mind all night for several days. Now I can barely remember it. My mind has protectively shut it off. Its faded to black and white. All those memories -- the whole day, is very vague now.Remind yourself of the risk in everythingSailing is inherently risky and despite her broken bones, Scutt decided, to me, the risk is worth it. I know were all racing really close, but wouldnt be my sport if I was in a slow boat and everyone was far away. Thats not what I do.Put it in contextScutt began to view the crash as a small part of her entire career. When I got hurt, I thought a lot about all the sacrifices Id made to get to that point, she said, and it made me want to push forward and keep going. I thought: This is just one more sacrifice that would make everything more meaningful.Henken added, Nothings going to hold you back but yourself.Be kind to yourself when you go backEven now, Scutt said, I still get nervous, and Paris knows it. Im working on it. When were hanging off the side, I pull up my shoulders and lean into the boat because when [the accident] happened, I was lying fully stretched out. For me to say Im never going to lift my shoulders again isnt realistic, so I wasnt too hard on myself when I knew I was leaning up. Now, every time Im out there, I find myself safely trapezing for a little longer.Or Paris will say, I need your weight [meaning lean back]. At first, I thought, Cmon, youre not the one that got hurt. But thats ridiculous. Or shell remind me, Were fine. I got this -- which is important. If shes cowering in the boat with me, were not going to win medals. If shes scared, shell feed my fear.Know your own roleYou cant control everything. Scutt explained, On a double-handed [two-person] boat, our roles are very different. Paris steers. As crew, I do everything else. I cant hop back and grab the tiller. Its not my job. So I need to trust, and I do trust Paris to make a call in a crowd.Enjoy each day as an athleteAll told, Scutt said, The accident made me realize that things can change in a split second and you might as well be doing what you love because you dont know what will happen tomorrow. Grant Hill Jersey . -- Whether Jeremy Hill deserves a prominent role in LSUs offence this early in the season is a matter for debate. Amile Jefferson Jersey . PETERSBURG, Fla. https://www.cheapmagiconline.com/ . Jay Feely kicked a 41-yard field goal in overtime, and the Cardinals edged the Tennessee Titans 37-34 in overtime after blowing a 17-point lead late in the fourth quarter. OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The undefeated Baltimore Ravens have benched running back Justin Forsett and will start Terrance West in Sundays game against the Oakland Raiders.Forsett, the teams leading rusher the previous two years, was officially named one of the Ravens inactives. West will make his first start since the 2014 season finale.Forsett was averaging 3.2 yards per carry (which ties a career worst) and the Ravens ranked 26th in the NFL in rushing entering Sundays contest. During the week, coach John Harbaugh sidestepped a question on whether Baltimore had thought about starting West over Forsett.West, a native of Baltimore, has played for three teams in his first three NFL seasons. He hasnt been significantly better than Forsett, but he has looked more explosive at times. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry over his last two games. Buck Allen, who has been inactive the first three games, will back up West.West said this week that its been difficult splitting carries with Forsett. Drew Gooden Jersey. As a running back, you have to get into the groove, West said. You get stronger as the game goes. You have to feel the defense out, but you still have to take advantage of the opportunities no matter what when your number is called. So theres no excuses.Baltimore is looking to get back on track against a Raiders defense that ranks 29th against the run (136 yards rushing allowed per game). Teams are averaging an NFL-best 5.1 yards per carry against Oakland.We havent been able to have the continuity we want from snapping the football until the course of the back, the timing of the play, whatever it is, offensive coordinator Marc Trestman said. We are close.Rookie left tackle?Ronnie Stanley is also inactive with a foot injury. Stanley, the Ravens No. 6 overall pick, will be replaced by James Hurst. ' ' '