l for New England (5-7-8) nullified in the 50 | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
jcy123 Jan 5 '20
KINGSTON, R. Custom Astros T-shirts .I. -- Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley felt the key to defeating Belmont was to limit the Bruins proficiency from beyond the 3-point arc.The 23rd-ranked Rams held the Bruins to 18.5 percent shooting (5 of 27) from 3-point range and posted an 82-73 victory Friday night.The plan tonight was to keep them to five 3s or less and keep them under 25 percent, Hurley said. We felt like they wouldnt be able to score enough 2s to beat us if we just eliminated that 3-point line.We were willing to give up some things around the basket because theyre such a lethal, 3-point shooting team. We were willing to trade 2s with them and felt the only way we could lose was if they made 3.Hassan Martin paced the Rams (5-1) with a career-high 31 points while Jarvis Garrett added a season-high 23. Garrett also matched his career-high for 3-pointers with four.Martin shot a blistering 70 percent (14 of 20) from the field.Hassan was a monster, Hurley said.The Bruins (1-3), who played without leading scorer Evan Bradds (concussion), didnt have an answer for Martin.My main thing was to take advantage of their size, Martin said. I was looking forward to the matchup with Bradds. But once I got myself going I just didnt stop.Im surrounded by scorers which gives me space to operate. Im comfortable with my back to the basket.Nick Smith led Belmont with 17 points while Dylan Windler contributed a double-double with 16 points and 14 rebounds.Rhode Island led by as many as 20 points early in the second half before Windler led a rally that pulled the Bruins within 58-52.Martin blunted that rally by scoring eight points during an 11-5 run.If youre not in a Power 5 conference these are the type of nonconference games you have to play, Hurley said. You have to take risks. You have to play games against people that have the potential to make the (NCAA) Tournament.BIG PICTUREBelmont: The Bruins have won more than 20 games and earned a postseason tournament berth in 10 of the last 11 years. They began the season as one of only seven non-Power 5 programs to earn national Top 25 poll votes and post a Top 100 RPI in each of the last six seasons.Rhode Island: After splitting two games against ranked teams (including then-No. 1 Duke) in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament, the Thanksgiving Day break was a welcome respite for the Rams who had played five games in 10 days. No Ram needed the break more than E.C. Matthews, who underwent surgery early last season to repair a torn ACL and played on consecutive days for the first time in 20 months in the Tip-Off Tournament.POLL IMPLICATIONS: By defeating a quality, mid-major school, Rhode Island ensured it should remain in the Top 25 for a fifth consecutive week.STAT OF THE NIGHT: Belmont stepped on the Ryan Center court shooting 44.2 percent (80 of 181) from beyond the 3-point arc. But Rhode Islands man-to-man defense held the Bruins to 18.5 percent (5 of 27) from 3-point range.HIGHLIGHT REEL: Martin flashed his athletic ability early in the first half when he flipped the ball over his head, off the glass and in the basket.STAR WATCH: Smith had the thankless task of making his first start in place of Bradds, who was sidelined with a concussion. Smith scored 17 points, one shy of his career high, and shot 50 percent from the field (5 of 10).TURNING POINT: The Bruins had reduced what was a 20-point deficit to 58-52 with 12:04 remaining. Martin then took control of the game and scored eight points that keyed an 11-5 Rhode Island run for a 69-57 lead. Seven points was the closest Belmont would get after that run.LETDOWN: Matthews began play as Rhode Islands leading scorer (17.4, but he experienced a rare off night by scoring six points.UP NEXT:The Bruins, who host Lipscomb on Nov. 29, still have seven nonconference games on their schedule before they play their first Ohio Valley Conference game Dec. 31 against Austin Peay. How they fare in this portion of their schedule may serve as an indication of their chances of winning the conference title.The Rams, who are ranked for a fourth consecutive week for only the third time since the AP poll was instituted in 1949, face three severe tests when they play road games at Valparaiso and in-state rival Providence before returning home Dec. 6 against Old Dominion. Custom Roy Oswalt Jersey . -- Bobby Ryan helped the U. Abraham Toro Jersey . Ashley Youngs cross was inadvertently headed by Chester into his own net in the 66th minute, allowing United to claim a third straight league win. "We had to dig deep with our fighting spirit and weve done that," United striker Wayne Rooney said. http:///...rsey-large-266y.html .H. -- Matt Kenseth made it 2 for 2 in the Chase, holding off teammate Kyle Busch to win Sunday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. SANDY, Utah -- Bobby Shuttleworth made two critical saves and the New England Revolution tied Real Salt Lake 0-0 on Saturday night.Shuttleworth deflected a point-blank, one-timer by Kyle Beckerman in the 14th minute, and poked away Yura Movsisyans breakaway shot with his leg in the 71st. It was Shuttleworths fourth shutout this season.Real Salt Lake (8-6-6) had a handful of chances, but came up empty each time. Joao Platas shot, off a back-heel pass from Juan Manuel Martinez, in the fifth minute sailed high; Martinezss chipped over Shuttleworth, but missed wide left in the 32nd; and Beckerman pulled a shot from the top off the box wide left in the 45th. Craig Biggio Jersey. Kei Kamara had a goal for New England (5-7-8) nullified in the 50th. He put away a cross from Kelyn Rowe but, seconds earlier, Kamaras foot clipped the heel of, and tripped, Aaron Maund, negating the goal.Salt Lake is winless in its last five. ' ' '