Francisco.Nationals: Strasb | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
q123 Mär 16 '19
RICHMOND, Ky. D. J. Wilson Jersey . -- Maty Mauk understands that second-guessing might accompany his second chance at Eastern Kentucky.But following a tumultuous junior season at Missouri, the quarterback is looking forward to a fresh start with the Colonels. Mauk was suspended three times in four months before being dismissed in January by new Tigers coach Barry Odom after a video surfaced on Twitter showing someone snorting a powdery white substance.Mauk denied he was the person snorting the substance in the video, which he said was made a couple of years ago. But Mauk acknowledged making a bad choice by being present when the substance was being snorted and is working to show hes living a clean life and has learned from the incident.I put myself in a situation that night and kind of acted like I did it, Mauk said in an interview with The Associated Press. It was one of those situations I wish I couldve taken myself out of, but I had to learn from it and havent been around anything like that for years now.Mauk said the first suspension came while he was dealing with his father Mikes cancer surgery last fall. He acknowledged doing things that merited disciplinary actions and said other behavior snowballed into more suspensions.As much as Mauk hurt for his father, Mike Mauk said he ached even more not being able to be there for his son during his ordeals.Matys struggle was worse for me because hes my son and I know he wasnt the man he was portrayed to be, said the elder Mauk, who has recovered and looks forward to coaching high school football in Springfield, Missouri.But Mike Mauk also believes Maty will benefit from his setbacks.You go through things to find out who you are and where you look to for faith and guidance, Mike said. Those things determine your character.First-year EKU head coach Mark Elder had a previous relationship with Mauk. He recruited the Kenton, Ohio, native heavily as a University of Cincinnati assistant. The relationship Elder developed with Mauk during the recruiting process leads the coach to believe the QBs recent troubles werent indicative of the person he is and notes that high-profile college athletes -- and young adults, for that matter -- make mistakes.I feel more than confident that (with) the mistakes that Maty has made, he is moving forward, Elder said. Maty knows what my expectation levels are for him and what he needs to do.The coach anticipates Mauk, who went 17-5 as a starter in the Southeastern Conference and threw for 4,373 yards and 42 touchdowns from 2013-15, to compete for the starting QB position with incumbent Bennie Coney.Mauk isnt the first athlete to seek redemption at EKU.Noah Spence, a standout defensive end at Ohio State, transferred to EKU last year with a history of failed drug tests that led to his ban by the Big Ten Conference. Spence regrouped at EKU to become the Ohio Valley Conferences co-Defensive Player of the Year last season and a second-round NFL draft pick (39th overall) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last spring.EKU athletic director Steve Lochmueller said the same support system that helped Spence thrive at EKU will also benefit Mauk.We believe in second chances under certain conditions, Lochmueller told the AP in a phone interview. We had a discussion and coach Elder and I decided that if Maty wanted to come here and resurrect his life and resurrect his career, then thats a good thing.Mauk knew he needed new surroundings after the upheaval for him and the Missouri program.His African-American teammates at Missouri threatened a boycott last November to protest the schools handling of racial and student welfare issues. Tigers coach Gary Pinkel stepped down soon after to battle cancer as well, and their 3-0 start dissolved into a 5-7 finish and no bowl game.Mauk explored other options after his dismissal before Elder reached out to him this spring with an opportunity he jumped on after graduating from Missouri. His late arrival in May has meant a crash course of learning the playbook and getting to know his teammates, but it all seems worth it as the QB tries to show the EKU community and others that this Mauk version is better and smarter -- on and off the field.I want them to see that Ive learned from my mistakes, Mauk said. Ive matured and Im a hard-working guy thats going to do whatever it takes to win a national championship here and land in the NFL. Vin Baker Jersey . Speaking to the Chicago Tribune at baseballs Winter Meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, Boras called the former home of the Expos a "tremendous environment" for baseball. Jason Terry Jersey . First off, the fans ripped the Cubbies introduction of a fuzzy new kid-friendly mascot named "Clark". http://www.cheapbucksjerseys.com/?tag=cheap-oscar-robertson-jersey WASHINGTON -- The Washington Nationals already have an impressive starting rotation. If Gio Gonzalez returns to form, the NL East race may soon develop into a runaway.Gonzalez pitched seven innings of two-hit ball, Trea Turner and Wilson Ramos homered and the Nationals beat the San Francisco Giants 5-1 on Friday night in a matchup of first-place teams.Washington jumped to a 2-0 lead in the first inning against Jeff Samardzija (9-8), and Gonzalez made it stand up in arguably his finest outing of the season.Coming off a tough 3-1 loss in San Francisco on Sunday, Gonzalez (7-9) struck out seven, walked one and had five three-up, three-down innings.Gonzalezs ERA grew to 4.81 at the end of June, but hes brought it down to 4.13 after four consecutive starts with two or fewer earned runs allowed. Hes won three of those four starts.In a rotation that features Stephen Strasburg, Max Scherzer and 11-game winner Tanner Roark, Gonzalez knows he has to be good to compete.Im just trying to keep up with the rest of the guys, Gonzalez said.On this night, the left-hander was as effective as any of them. The only hits he allowed were a solo homer by Angel Pagan in the fourth and a single by Denard Span in the sixth.He had good command, had his changeup working, an occasional breaking ball and he threw his fastball in and out, manager Dusty Baker said.Sammy Solis gave up two hits in the eighth and Mark Melancon got three straight outs to complete the four-hitter.It was the fourth straight win for the Nationals, who came in with a seven-game lead over Miami in the NL East.The Giants remain atop the NL West, though their lead is dwindling. Since the All-Star break, San Francisco is 5-14 and has scored two runs or fewer in nine of those games.Theyre going to come out of it, manager Bruce Bochy said. It better be sooner rather than later. We better get some good swings.Samardzija has certainly contributed to the slide. The right-hander gave up five runs in seven innings and is 0-3 with a 6.85 ERA in his four starts since the break. Cheap Swingman Bucks Jerseys. .They got some good at-bats out there and definitely put the ball in play, Samardzija said.Two of the balls were knocked completely out of play: the fifth-inning homer by Turner and Ramos career-high 17th in the sixth.San Francisco pitchers have allowed 32 homers in the last 19 games.Daniel Murphy picked up his 81st RBI with a first-inning single, and Ramos followed with a sacrifice fly.Washington made it 3-0 in the third when Turner doubled and scored on a fly ball by Bryce Harper.Pagan got the Giants first hit with one out in the fourth, a drive into the left-field seats.SHORT HOPSGiants: Span has eight hits in his last 15 at-bats. ... San Francisco hasnt won two straight roads game since June 30 and July 1.Nationals: Jayson Werth has reached base in 36 straight games. ... Murphy has a hit in 17 of his last 19 games, batting .422 with 22 RBI.TRAINERS ROOMGiants: RHP Cory Gearrin (right shoulder strain) was scheduled to make his third rehab appearance with Triple-A Sacramento on Friday night. ... LHP Josh Osich (left forearm strain) threw in the bullpen Friday and could start his rehab assignment Monday.Nationals: INF Ryan Zimmerman missed a fourth straight game after being hit in the left wrist with a pitch Sunday in San Francisco. We hope hes better in a day or two, Baker said, adding that the team has not discussed putting Zimmerman on the DL. ... The Nationals are perplexed about RHP Joe Ross, whos been out for a month with shoulder inflammation and is still experiencing soreness. Were trying to figure out what to do, Baker said.UP NEXTGiants: Matt Cain (3-6, 5.53) starts Saturday in the second game of the series. In his last outing, he pitched five hitless innings against the Nationals in San Francisco.Nationals: Strasburg (15-1, 2.63) has allowed one run and six hits over 13 innings in his last two starts. ' ' '