oing to give people a reason to come back and be stronger and better. Period. | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
q123 Mär 17 '19
Dennis Byrd was an inspiration for far more than anything he ever accomplished on a football field. Joe Morgan Jersey .He was able to walk again.And with each step he took toward recovery from paralysis while guided by his always-present faith, Byrd defied doctors grim predictions and became a symbol of perseverance and hope.On Saturday, the former NFL defensive lineman whose career was ended by a neck injury, was killed in a car accident. He was 50.The Oklahoma Highway Patrol said Byrd died in a two-vehicle collision on Oklahoma 88 north of Claremore.The Tulsa World first reported Byrds death. He starred at Mustang High School outside Oklahoma City and then at the University of Tulsa before playing for the New York Jets.We extend our sincere condolences to Dennis wife, Angela, their children and the entire Byrd family, said Dr. Derrick Gragg, Tulsas athletic director. Dennis exemplified true determination, tremendous heart and humility throughout his life. He had a tremendous playing career at TU and professionally with the New York Jets. He overcame great personal adversity after a life-altering injury on the football field.We know that Dennis touched numerous lives and will be missed by many.The Oologah-Talala Emergency Medical Services said the crash happened about 11 a.m. between Oologah and Claremore. It said a 17-year-old Claremore youth driving a 2000 Ford Explorer northbound on Oklahoma 88 veered into the oncoming lane, striking the 2004 Hummer H2 that Byrd was driving.Byrd, who had returned to his home in Talala in recent years, was pronounced dead at the scene, and the 17-year-old driver and a 12-year-old passenger in Byrds vehicle were taken in critical condition to Saint Francis Hospital in Tulsa.The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Byrd was a second-round draft pick of the Jets in 1989 and quickly became a fan favorite for his intensity on the field as much as his humble, soft-spoken approach off it.He was considered one of the NFLs promising young defensive ends during his first three seasons, racking up 27 sacks -- a mark that only two players in franchise history surpassed: Mark Gastineau with 33 1/2 from 1979-81 and John Abraham with 27 1/2 from 2000-02.Byrd had one sack midway through his fourth season when his life was changed during a game on Nov. 29, 1992, against Kansas City.He broke his neck after slamming headfirst into the chest of teammate Scott Mersereau as Chiefs quarterback David Krieg stepped forward to avoid a sack. The impact broke the C-5 vertebra in Byrds neck, leaving him briefly paralyzed, although doctors were uncertain if Byrd would ever be able to walk again.After a vigorous rehabilitation over the next several months, Byrd returned to the Meadowlands for the Jets opening game the following season and walked -- gingerly but unaided -- to midfield as an honorary captain.He never fully recovered from the injury, walking with some difficulty and going through continuous rehabilitation during the years since. But Byrd, a devout Christian, wrote a book in 1993 called Rise and Walk: The Trial and Triumph of Dennis Byrd, which detailed how he relied on his faith and family to push through his injury to recover and serve an inspiration to others who went through similar situations.Byrds story was later made into a made-for-TV movie, with actor-director Peter Berg playing him.During the 2010 season, Byrd sent then-Jets coach Rex Ryan the No. 90 jersey that had been torn from his torso on the field after the collision as an inspirational gift.As a guest of the team, Byrd delivered a moving speech to the Jets at their hotel the night before a 28-21 playoff victory over the New England Patriots -- during which the Jets had hung Byrds jersey in their locker room.Running back LaDainian Tomlinson and safety James Ihedigbo also carried out a green and white No. 90 jersey to midfield for the coin toss before the game. Many Jets players credited Byrds speech for helping motivate them to the victory.Hearing about his story for the first time really makes you understand how fortunate we are and how fragile your career is, then-quarterback Mark Sanchez said at the time. These moments you have on the plane, hanging around in the locker room, having fun with guys, going to eat, playing on the field, its pretty special. It can end at any moment. That was just a good reminder for us of how fortunate we are.No Jets player has worn No. 90 since Byrd, and on Oct. 28, 2012, the team honored him at halftime of its game against Miami by making him the fifth player in franchise history to have his number retired.Mersereau introduced Byrd to the crowd, saying the most touching moment of his life came when he visited Byrd in the hospital and his teammate -- unable to walk at that time -- told him: Angie and I have been worried about you.Flanked by wife Angela and their four children, along with several of his former teammates, Byrd fought back tears while he was given a standing ovation by the fans at MetLife Stadium.I learned to be a man in Oklahoma, Byrd said, and I grew to be a man in New York.Every year, a Jets player is selected by his teammates to receive the Dennis Byrd Most Inspirational Player award.I really have loved coaching football and working with kids, talking about the lessons Ive learned as an athlete and the journey as someone with a disability, Byrd said in 2012. Football has always been, for me, a cornerpost of strength and a way to accomplish things in life, whether its on the field or just in maintaining a quality of life. All those lessons -- dedication, perseverance, teamwork -- they all dovetail nicely into living a blessed life.---Associated Press Writer Jeff McMurray in Chicago and AP Sports Writer Kristie Rieken in Houston contributed to this report.---Online: http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL Reggie Sanders Jersey . The team said Saturday that Lopez was hurt during its 121-120 overtime loss at Philadelphia on Friday. The Nets said they would issue another update next week after consultation with their doctors. Homer Bailey Jersey . Schenn scored the game-winning goal and added two assists to lead the Philadelphia Flyers to a 4-1 win over the Calgary Flames at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Tuesday. http://www.cheapredsjerseys.com/?tag=cheap-chris-sabo-jersey . Collaros, 25, was solid last season, posting a 5-2 record as the starter while incumbent Ricky Ray was injured. Collaros also started Torontos 23-20 regular-season finale loss to Montreal — Ray didnt dress because the Argos had already clinched first in the East Division — but was one of three quarterbacks to play that day.A wire-to-wire victory in hot, humid conditions on a soggy racetrack has earned Queens Plate champion Midnight Aria a well-deserved break. Veteran trainer Nick Gonzalez disclosed Tuesday that Midnight Aria has been slow to recover from his stunning win July 7 at Woodbine Racetrack. As a result, the horse wont run in the $500,000 Prince of Wales Stakes on July 30 at Fort Erie Racetrack. "Listen, its all about the horse," Gonzalez said during a telephone interview from Fort Erie, Ont. "You can Triple Crown dream all you want and talk about it but at the end of the day you have to do whats right for the horse. "In the best interests of Midnight Aria Im going to pass on this race and give him time to recover from that gruelling humid, hot, rain-soaked track day." Gonzalez claimed Midnight Aria for $35,000 for owner Tucci Stables on Jan. 24 at Gulfstream Park. The move certainly paid off as Midnight Aria overcame rain and hot, muggy conditions to win the 1 1/4-mile Queens Plate at 16-1 odds and claim the $600,000 winners share. "I claimed the horse in January but he had run twice before that and really made his first start in late September so when you tack on a few months before that to get him ready, well, hes been going for a solid year," Gonzalez said. "I knew at one point and time even though we had Queens Plate dreams back in January when we claimed him . . . getting him to where we wanted to get him was going to take its toll on him. "Hes earned a break. I mean, hes a big, strong horse but he has his limits. He was showing signs of wear and tear and I dont want to bring him (to Fort Erie) with all the pressure and him not being 100 per cent." That means Wando will remain the last horse to win the Canadian Triple Crown, achieving the milestone in 2003. Gonzalez said having Midnight Aria run in next months $500,000 Breeders Stakes, a 1/2-mile turf event and final Triple Crown race, at Woodbine remains in the plans. "I already know he can handle the distance and he loves the turf," Gonzaleez said. Adam Duvall Jersey. "And he will have had time to recover." Having Midnight Aria run at Fort Erie wouldve meant more to Gonzalez than simply gunning for the second jewel of the Canadian Triple Crown. A 40-year veteran of the horse-racing game, Gonzalez not only calls Fort Erie home but began his career at Fort Erie Racetrack. Midnight Arias victory earned Gonzalez his second Plate. His first came in 2010 with Big Red Mike, who also went wire-to-wire to capture Canadas most prestigious horse race with Queen Elizabeth II in attendance. "I know I had said I didnt think anything could ever outdo winning the Queens Plate in 2010 when the Queen was here," Gonzalez said. "In my mind there was never anything that could happen to me in the racing game that could outdo that. "But on July 7, believe me, it did. It really, really did." The 116-year-old Fort Erie track has hosted the Prince of Wales since 1929. But last years racing season was expected to be the tracks last after former Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty axed a revenue-sharing agreement that gave racetracks a slice of $345 million in annual slot profits. In March, new premier Kathleen Wynne announced transition funding agreements with three tracks -- Fort Erie, Georgian Downs and Flamboro Downs -- to ensure racing dates at the three venues for 2013. That gave the Prince of Wales a one-year reprieve at Fort Erie. However, Gonzalez is optimistic about horse-racings future, both at Fort Erie and across Ontario. "Weve got a lot to build on this year," he said. "Last year when we concluded our meet (at Fort Erie) we went out on a down note, we didnt know if the track was going to open the next year and there was no reason for anyone to get horses and come back. "Were not going to do that this year. When the end of September comes and were closing up shop here, were going to go out with a bang and were going to give incentives and were going to give people a reason to come back and be stronger and better. Period. Weve got to." ' ' '