n through this before.UP NEXTThe Buckeyes a | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
jcy123 Apr 19 '19
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. Cheap Adidas Stan Smith . -- During tackle Rob Bains first two seasons at Illinois, the defense he was part of lacked an identity.Statistically, it was the Big Tens worst in a number of categories, and a key reason the Illini won 10 games combined in 2013 and 14.Lovie Smiths best Chicago defenses were creators of chaos -- picking off passes, forcing fumbles and scoring points. Smith hopes some of that brand of NFL defense pays off at Illinois, where he will coach his first game Saturday against Murray State.That philosophy is distilled in one symbol hanging on the teams meeting room wall. Its a football on a spring, mounted on plaque that bears the words STRIP, PUNCH, YANK and, above them all, TAKEAWAYS.We talk a lot about takeaways, Smith said. Defensive players dont come through the doors unless they hit (the ball).For Bain, defensive identity starts with Smiths Tampa 2, essentially the same base defense the Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers ran when he was in charge of those teams and played by defensive legends like Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice and John Lynch -- players the Illini say they now regularly watch clips of. Bain says linemen will need to be disruptors, creating opportunities for the players behind them.When you have a defensive line, just a defense designed to constantly get pressure on the quarterback and put the offense in hectic situations, I think that its definitely a big advantage and benefit to the secondary, where they can kind of just sit back, see whats going on, he said. And theres more opportunities for them to make plays.Illinois defense has frequently been a liability the past few seasons.In 2013 and 2014 it was at or near the back of the conference in points given up, often leaving the Illini offense to try to outgun high-scoring opponents.Similarly, the Illini didnt create many turnovers those years, finishing with a minus-10 turnover ratio in 2013 and minus-3 in 2014.Last season was better, with 21 total turnovers, four more than the offense gave up.But at their best, Smiths Bears were turnover machines. The 2004 and 2005 teams both allowed fewer than 20 points a game. Between them those teams forced 63 turnovers and scored nine touchdowns over 32 regular season games.Through training camp, a lot of the talk among Illini players focused on Bain and the rest of the line: fellow tackle Chunky Clements and defensive ends Carroll Phillips and Dawuane Smoot. Between them they had 36.5 tackles for losses and 12.5 sacks, with eight of those sacks Smoots.They say they believe they can be one of the best lines in the country.After facing them in practice, Illinois quarterback Wes Lunt thinks theyre ready to create the kind of disruption Bain talked about.Were going against a great defensive line every day. When theyre in your face and its more game-like, youve got to react to it and get the ball out of your hands, he said.Late in one of the last days of preseason camp, a ball thrown to a cross-field receiver popped high in the air. A defender somewhere along the way got a touch with a hand or an arm or a helmet. From behind the end zone it wasnt clear what body part or even which defender was responsible in the mass of bodies swarming the ball.The ball came down and a defender pulled it in. It was one of those hectic moments Bain mentioned and the defense has the ball.More or less all defensive philosophies are the same -- everyones got to be accountable for their gaps, Bain explained. But I think this defense hones in especially on everyone running to the ball, the effort, the attitude, and everyone being playmakers.---Follow David Mercer on Twitter: (at)davidmercerAP---Online:AP College football: http://collegefootball.ap.org/ Cheap Adidas Stan Smith Online . Scott won the Australian PGA last week in his first event in Australia since winning the U.S. Masters in April. American Matt Kuchar, ahead by two strokes with four to play and even with Scott with one to go, double-bogeyed the 18th after taking two shots to get out of a bunker. Adidas Stan Smith Clearance . General manager Jarmo Kekalainen told Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch on Friday that he wants to see Gaboriks contributions go beyond the scoresheet before considering a long-term deal for the soon-to-be unrestricted free agent. http://www.cheapstansmithuk.com/ . Miller reached right to deflect Mikhail Grabovskis attempt with just over 2 minutes remaining in regulation, and then made two more saves in the shootout Sunday to give the Sabres a 2-1 win over the Washington Capitals. COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Trevor Thompsons matching double-double -- 17 points and 17 rebounds -- pushed Ohio State past Connecticut, 64-60 on Saturday night.Jalen Adams made a 3-pointer with 26 seconds left and converted a 3-point play eight seconds later to pull UConn within three, but Ohio States Marc Loving hit a free throw put the lead back to four. The Huskies missed their final three shots.Thompson averaged 10.3 points and 7.7 rebounds per game in 20 minutes of play. He played for 30 minutes and reached a career high in points and rebounds. Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie described Thompsons presence as a monster.(I) definitely came into tonight with a chip on my shoulder after how I played and what happened last year (against Connecticut), Thompson said. I told myself before the game that I wanted revenge and payback. Thats what my mind was on.Thompson was primarily a starter last year, but has come off the bench in each of OSUs 10 games. Coach Thad Matta said that, despite mental things, Thompsons play has improved from a season ago.It just seems like hes calmed down a little bit more and has got a good focus about how hes playing and what hes doing, Matta said. Hes starting to get a little more instinctive, especially on the defensive end, which is good to see.UConn shot 54.2 percent from the field in the first 20 minutes, including 4 of 9 from 3. Adams hit a 3-pointer at the first-half buzzer to take a 34-32 lead into halftime, despite 10 team turnovers.UConns Vance Jackson was 0 for his last 10 shots and 2 for his previous 18 coming into the game, but the Buckeyes had no answers for him and he scored nine of his 12 points in the first half.I felt like he was real aggresssive, Ollie said. Adidas Stan Smith Wholesale Uk. . I could see him looking for his shot. Our guys were looking for him.After the under-eight timeout, UConn guard Rodney Purvis nailed a 3-pointer to end a team field-goal drought of more than five minutes. After the two teams traded baskets and were tied at 54, OSU began an 8-0 run that ended up being the difference.JaQuan Lyle, who had 16 points and only one turnover, converted six straight from the line down the stretch.Adams led UConn with 19 points.BIG PICTUREOhio State: Coach Thad Mattas team was able to close out a win following a disappointing loss on Tuesday to mid-major Florida Atlantic. The Buckeyes came into the game as one of the worst teams from the free throw line, but made 7 of 8 in the final two minutes and shot 76 percent.They were down to seven players tonight and we wanted to go at them and put ourselves in that position to get to the line, Matta said.Connecticut: The Huskies lost their fifth game of the season in the fewest number of games since Kevin Ollie took over as head coach in 2012. UConns poor shooting showed in the second half, just 35.5 percent from the field. What hurt the Huskies more than anything was a lack of ball control and foul trouble.Its just a scene. Its not the movie. Weve been through this before. Our guys have been through this before.UP NEXTThe Buckeyes and Huskies each have a full week to prepare for their next games. OSU competes in the CBS Sports Classic against No. 2 UCLA in Las Vegas on Dec. 17. UConn hosts the North Florida Ospreys in Storrs, Connecticut, on Dec. 18. ' ' '