from the place where their son died on a two-lane road | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
wzh123 Mai 31 '19
LAWRENCE, Kan. Swell Traveler Bottle Australia . -- Bill Self knew after witnessing an emotional senior day that Canadian Andrew Wiggins was considering Kansas, even if the Jayhawks coach was in the dark like everyone else while the superstar recruit made certain of his future. For one thing, Wiggins saw on that visit in March just how beloved players are at Kansas, where icons such as James Naismith and Phog Allen have become deified. The six-foot-eight Vaughan, Ont., native also saw just how many players were departing. Four senior starters delivered farewell addresses that night. A few weeks later, star freshman Ben McLemore announced he would be declaring for the NBA draft, leaving the nine-time defending Big 12 champions looking for a bunch of guys to plug into the lineup next season. Undoubtedly, Wiggins saw in Kansas a place where he could shine. "I just felt like that was the place for me," the consensus No. 1-ranked recruit said after announcing his college intentions Tuesday in Huntington, W.Va. "Going to college will get me better mentally and physically in the game of basketball." Wiggins chose the Jayhawks over overtures from Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State, where both of his parents attended and one of his teammates will be playing next season. "I felt like there was a connection," Self said, "but basically, he picked a good night to visit. He visited on senior day and kind of saw what this was all about, a game that wasnt a huge high-intensity game, but a game he was able to see how players are beloved here." Widely considered the next LeBron James -- though Self compared him more closely to Tracy McGrady -- Wiggins initially was part of the 2014 class, but was immediately raised to the top of this years recruiting market when he decided to reclassify. Wiggins averaged more than 23 points and 11 rebounds while leading Huntington Prep School in West Virginia to a 30-3 record last season. He also dazzled scouts, most of which knew they had no chance of landing him, at the McDonalds All-American Game and Jordan Brand Classic. The entire recruitment of Wiggins was unlike anything college basketball has seen. Sure, hes the kind of transcendent talent that in bygone days could have jumped straight to the NBA, and that alone makes him unique. But by nature, hes a soft-spoken kid who cares little for the spotlight. So while other top recruits string along the public before making their college decision, Wiggins kept his thoughts largely to himself throughout the process. Self said he texted Wiggins on Tuesday morning to wish him luck, and received a text back from the small forward saying, "Thank you." But besides that, Self had barely spoken with Wiggins in the final tense days of his recruitment. Wiggins revealed his choice at a small ceremony at his prep school. Self didnt even know hed won the recruiting derby until he received a phone call from a reporter. "There wasnt jubilation like youd think," Self said. "It was kind of a surreal feeling. I was so happy, but at the same time, it was almost a humble happiness, and so proud we were able to land Andrew to go with whats already a terrific recruiting class." Along with losing McLemore, whos expected to be an NBA lottery pick, the Jayhawks are also losing star centre Jeff Withey, forward Kevin Young and veteran guards Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford, who have never known anything but winning conference championships. Kansas has a few reserves returning, including junior guard Naadir Tharpe and sophomore forward Perry Ellis, a five-star prospect that finally caught on late last season. But the Jayhawks will be dominated by newcomers as they chase their 10th straight Big 12 championship next year. Wiggins is the headliner, but 6-5 Wayne Seldon from Tilton (N.H.) School is the second-rated shooting guard in the country. Seven-footer Joel Embiid from The Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., is the third-rated centre. Guards Connor Frankamp from Wichita, Kan., and Brannen Greene from Tifton, Ga., are in the top 10 at their positions, and point guard Frank Mason from Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., has steadily climbed into the nations top 100 recruits. "If anything," Self said, "it gets me excited to go to work." Wiggins said the most difficult part of his decision was informing the three other finalists that hed be going elsewhere. As for why he chose Kansas, well, hes keeping most of those reasons private, though he did say having his older brother Nick Wiggins at Wichita State was nice. His father, former NBA player Mitchell Wiggins, said fit was also a big part of it. "He liked their system. A lot of pro offence, the pick and roll," the elder Wiggins said. "The system is probably the biggest thing, and Coach Self is a pretty good coach." Self is the first to admit he wouldnt be nearly as successful if it wasnt for his players -- thats where it all starts, of course. But in luring Wiggins to Kansas, even Self acknowledged hes never coached another player like him. "He doesnt really fit the mould of some of the guys weve had in the past," Self said. "Hes a tremendous talent and a terrific kid. Probably an even better kid than he is a talent. We think he has a chance to be about as good a prospect as weve ever had." Swell Water Bottle Clearance . Miller finished in two minutes, 6.09 seconds, one day before the first medal race on the Alpine schedule. The 36-year-old American also turned in the top time in Thursdays opening training session. Swell Water Bottle Sale 17 Oz . The (11-11-4) Jets are seventh in the Central Division with 26 points.  Fifth place Dallas and sixth-seeded Nashville also have 26 points, but the Stars have three games in hand on Winnipeg while Nashville has two. http:///...brush-australia.html .5 million, one-year contract on Friday. Hawkins, who turns 41 in December, will compete with Rex Brothers for the closers role at spring training. GRAND ISLAND, Neb. -- It has been three months, and Jill Foltz isnt sure she can talk about her son, Sam. Its still too raw. But she will talk about Mike Riley. She opens the door to her tidy ranch home in central Nebraska, the house with the giant red N out front, and takes a seat next to her husband, Gerald, on the couch.Most nights this time of year, Gerald is out in the fields harvesting his corn and soybeans before the cold arrives. Tonight, he is resting his feet, thinking back to December 2014, when Nebraska named Riley its head football coach. Whos Mike Riley? Jill asked at the time. That same month, Michigan hired Jim Harbaugh, the biggest of wow hires, and here Nebraska was with this 60-something-year-old guy from Oregon State.Two years later, the Foltzes cant imagine anyone else in the world running their football team.On July 24, a police officer came to their door and told them that their son, Cornhuskers punter Sam Foltz, had been killed in a car accident in Wisconsin. That next day, Riley and athletic director Shawn Eichorst were at their house along with about eight of Sams teammates. They stayed all day, and Riley told the family he would be there if they needed anything.After they left, Gerald and Jill decided theyd do the same for Riley and the team. Theyd go to every football game, home and away, in the 2016 season. Sams senior season.They had no idea how excruciatingly painful this would be. But every Saturday, they stand near the team bus, waiting for a bunch of football players who arent their son. Jill winds up crying every game, and when the emotions become overwhelming, she and Gerald tell themselves the same thing: The team needs them.Gerald works ungodly early hours as a farmer, and maybe thats why he always wants to be at the stadium just after the gates open. They find their seats, stare at the field and think about what might have been. Gerald decided that we needed to go to the games, Jill says. And you know, really, when you think about it, we needed to show these players that our loyalty to Husker football wasnt just because we had a kid on the team.So here we are, seven down and five to go, or something like that.Gerald does his own math and chimes in.Maybe seven or eight to go, he says.He is accounting for the Big Ten championship game and the College Football Playoff, two possibilities that seemed impossible a few months ago. But its late October, the Cornhuskers are 7-0 for the first time in 15 years, and who knows what can happen?The Foltzes are happy for Mike Riley, and they marvel at how he has pulled the team together after losing a player who was so revered that he would have been a shoo-in as a team captain this year. And then Riley had to deal with the DUI arrest and subsequent suspension of assistant coach Keith Williams, and a national anthem controversy.He just never gets flustered, Jill says. Hes like the epitome of the best dad. Hes just even-steven.Gerald met Riley last fall. About four times a year, the elder Foltz liked to make the 100-mile drive to Lincoln to watch his son practice. But on this particular day, Riley had given the team a surprise day off. Gerald was walking down a hallway with Sam when they heard someone yelling and running toward them. It was Riley. He told Sam to show his dad around the facilities, and heck, take him up to his office.Gerald seemed in awe. The previous coach whod just been fired at Nebraska, Bo Pelini, was fiery and short-tempered and not much for small talk. But Riley sat with the Foltzes in his office that day, and they talked for at least 20 minutes, shooting the bull, Gerald says, about life and football.Its what were all supposed to be doing, Gerald says, but it doesnt happen at that level, the way I gather from talking to players from other teams.Hes the darndest guy Ive ever run into.Before we throw cold water on this magical, undefeated season, before we note that the Cornhuskers previous seven opponents are a combined 20-30 and that Rileys team might be in for a harsh reality check as it enters the teeth of its schedule at Wisconsin and then at No. 6 Ohio State, lets examine how unlikely 7-0 is for Riley and this bunch.A year ago at this time, the Huskers were 3-6 and had just lost to a Purdue team that would finish 2-10. A somewhat sizeable faction of players did not seem to be buying in to Riley, especially the seniors who were fiercely loyal to Pelini and defensive line coach Rick Kaczenski.The group that was probably the most obvious was the defensive line, Nebraska defensive coordinator Mark Banker says. The players had an attachment to [Kaczenski], and I know a couple of them, theyd go to his house for dinner at night.It was weird. For me, at Oregon State when I left to another job, it was hard. But something I believe in is that youve gotta let it go.Nebraska lost five games by a combined 13 points last season, and the last-second gut punches became so common they were almost comical. In a game against Wisconsin on Oct. 10, 2015, with four seconds to go, Badgers kicker Rafael Gaglianone nailed a winning 46-yard field goal that sailed through the uprights. That game appeared to be sealed less than a minute-and-a-half earlier, when Gaglianone had missed a 39-yarder.Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst, a close friend of Rileys since they coached together in the early 1990s, found him after the game and simply said, Ill call you. Riley shouldve needed multiple therapy sessions by then. His luck was impeccably terrible. The losses were one thing, but who buys a house in Lincoln, then has to quickly turn around and sell it because his wife is allergic to the paint fumes?Mike Riley, thats who. And get this: Instead of groaning over having to live in a hotel for months, Riley learned the name of everyone who worked at the Embassy Suites hotel in Lincoln. Riley and his wife, Dee, gushed about how nice the people were, how they became sort of a little family.Thats Riley: never down, never out. Through multiple interviews with people whove known him for at least 10 years, it is believed he has never uttered a cuss word, hearkening back to the days of Tom Osborne. A couple of decades ago, Osborne probably wasnt the only coach to opt for a dadgummit. But today, its a true rarity in a profession in which F-bombs are dropped like 40-yard passes during spring practice.Hes kind of a dorky, little guy, Huskers receiver Brandon Reilly says of his coach. He says some things that well be like, What? Every practice, he says, All right, its time for recess. He always thinks practice is like recess because we can go out and have fun.After every victory, Riley leads the team in a chant of hip hip hooray! In the rare times last season when the Huskers won a game and engaged in the ritual, they looked at one another and thought it was a little strange. But not anymore. Not in this season that has brought them back to the top 10 and feels just a little bit different, like the old days when Nebraska was relevant.The team that could not win a close game last season cant seem to lose them now, and Riley says theres a reason for that. He did not know his players in 2015, especially in the early stages. For example, hed nnever had a quarterback like Tommy Armstrong, who can run the option. Swell Bottles Australia. Rileys quarterbacks at Oregon State were dropback passers. He also said that defensively, the Huskers eventually found a better way to play.Riley said his Huskers probably had to hit rock bottom before they could go up, and they sank to the bottom of the pit last season on Halloween in West Lafayette against the Boilermakers. Riley did not give an inspired speech after the game; everyone in that locker room knew how bad things had become. The following week, the Huskers knocked off No. 6 Michigan State in Lincoln.The Huskers were invited to a bowl game despite their 5-7 record, and though the Foster Farms Bowl in Santa Clara, California, seemed like a participation trophy at the time, they wound up beating a high-quality UCLA team, and it buoyed them into 2016.I remember going in the bowl prep, those practices we would have where its just kind of in between, senior linebacker Brad Simpson?says. Sometimes, it feels like youre practicing for nothing. There were some fights and stuff. It was basically that time when people were sick of football. Some guys were about to graduate and they didnt care anymore, and some guys really wanted to play and stand out. Im really glad we came together.You could see after that UCLA game, after we won, weve actually got a good team here. Were going to come together and do something.Riley had no idea that the real challenges were still ahead and would have nothing to do with football. He has been coaching for more than 40 years, and nothing was harder than the day he had to gather the team in the hours after Foltzs death. Foltz and former Michigan State punter Mike Sadler were killed in a car wreck while returning from a kicking camp in Wisconsin. LSU kicker Colby Delahoussaye was also in the vehicle and suffered injuries.Riley told his players that nothing he could say would make it better, and that their biggest support would come from the people sitting together in that room.It was horrible, Riley says. I felt so ill-equipped walking in front of a group and talking about their teammate and friend.University of Nebraska-Lincoln chancellor Ronnie Green says Riley has managed everything that has come his way. When Michael Rose-Ivey, Mohamed Barry and DaiShon Neal knelt in a peaceful protest during the national anthem at Northwestern in September, it caused such a stir that several politicians, including Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts and two university regents, criticized the players actions. That was rare. In Nebraska, politicians rarely speak ill of the football team. Theyre more inclined to have at least one red sports coat in their closet.But from the start, Riley calmly and steadfastly stood by his players. He was grateful Rose-Ivey told him about it before the game.I said, Great, go for it. Just be prepared to answer to it, Riley says. He did, and I was so proud of him. I was most proud of the way he explained it to the team. It was at our walk-through the day before the game. They kind of embraced him, and he was very emotional.The benefit of having coached for a while is that I do have perspective that I have a job bigger than football.For years, Brenda Tracy would hear people say how Mike Riley was such a nice guy. And it made her sick. She wondered whether she was the only one on the planet who didnt like him. She had her reasons.Tracy says she was gang-raped 18 years ago by four men, two of whom played for Riley at Oregon State. Tracy hated Riley because he gave the players a one-game suspension.Riley says he never read the police report; he just saw that the players had been arrested and the charges had been dropped. In 2014, Tracy went public with her story, and suddenly Mike Riley was in the national spotlight. Riley says he felt terrible when he heard it. He knew he had to do something. He had to tell her he was sorry. Sexual assaults on college campuses are on the rise, and Riley wanted Tracy to come to Lincoln to speak to his players.I could get in front of the team and give all these life lessons, Riley says, but nothing would be more compelling than coming from a victim. And she was unbelievably brave. I was really proud of her, and I was proud of our team. I think it was a great day for our team.Tracy went to Lincoln in June and had no idea how it would go. She was anxious that she might get in front of the team and be traumatized all over again. But it wound up being cathartic. Riley and Tracy embraced, and he seemed to genuinely care.It could have ended there, and Tracy would be lying if she didnt wonder at first whether the whole thing was a PR stunt. But then Riley called a few times, checking in to see if she was OK.He invited her to come back, and on Nov. 12, shell be in Lincoln for the Minnesota game.Its interesting that Ive kind of become part of his narrative, Tracy says. My trajectory couldve been very different when I went to Nebraska. I didnt really know for sure what I was walking into.It was a very pivotal moment for me. It is not something I will ever forget.Five days before the Wisconsin game on Saturday, Riley sits in his office with his eyes occasionally glancing over to a TV with The Weather Channel on. Dee walks in after a tennis match, and they make plans for lunch.They met when they were in college at Alabama. Her Southern accent is still fairly pronounced. They hung out together for about two years in a big group of friends, and sometimes, Dee and Mike would walk across campus to get an ice cream cone. It was so easy to talk to him.I liked him so much, she says. Like like-liked him.They got married and had two kids, and were entrenched in Corvallis, Oregon, when Nebraska came calling. Riley figured he and Dee had one last adventure in them. Hes 63 now, but when he wears a ball cap over his mostly bald head, Riley looks a lot younger. Nebraska, he says, will be his last coaching job.One of the things Dee loves about Riley: Theres no drama with him. Not once during 2015, through the paint fumes and the losses and hotel, did either of them question why they were here.Its just life, she says. You deal with what you have to deal with, and you just do the next right thing and dont spend any time agonizing over it. Thats the way Mike is, and I love being around him because hes not a worrier. Life is too short not to have fun and not to enjoy people and your family and your friends.Life marches on, and Riley recently told Gerald Foltz that they miss him at practice. He encouraged him to come back any time he wants. Gerald joked that sure, hed be back if Riley traded places with him on the combine.The hardest road trip of the year comes Saturday. The Foltzes will be less than an hour away from the place where their son died on a two-lane road near Merton, Wisconsin. But they will go and embrace this family that Riley has created.After Sam died, Riley told the couple that their son used to put his arm around him and ask how his day was. No matter what Riley said, Foltz always had the same answer: Its going to be OK. ' ' '