3-2 when hes pitched against Cincinnati.Reds: T | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
wzh123 Sep 12 '19
Terry Alderman is the undisputed king of the Ashes swingers. Arsenal Jerseys . In 17 Tests against England he took exactly 100 wickets, including a phenomenal 83 on his two tours of England in 1981 and in 1989. On the second occasion he was instrumental in Australia establishing a grip on the Ashes that they have yet to relinquish. He is returning to England this month to promote the NatWest Series and NatWest Challenge for Sky Sports, who are screening both tournaments exclusively live.You must be looking forward to getting back to England, the spiritual home of the swing bowler. Yeah, somehow English conditions seemed to be made for me. In 1980, the year before my Test debut, I went up to play for Watsonians in Edinburgh, where I found out that that make of cricket ball, on those sorts of wickets, did all sorts for me.You were a consistent success on both your England tours, in 1981 and 1989, but the memories must be hugely contrasting. Oh yeah, Ive still got the scars of 1981. Dennis [Lillee] and myself took 81 wickets between us in that series - he took 39, I took 42 - and yet we still lost the series 3-1. But we exacted our revenge alright, eight years later.That 1989 series, of course, was epitomised by your remarkable success against Graham Gooch. Well, Id played against him a few times and by 1989 wed developed this tactic of placing a man in short at midwicket. He used to drive me a lot, but we figured this might make him think about it twice, and thats exactly what happened. He played across the line and I got him lbw a couple of times, and then he popped a catch up to that very man at midwicket. After that he took a Test or two off to work on his game, but when he came back I still got him with a return catch. So yeah, I probably had the wood over him in that series, but he had some success against me at county level.Does it surprise you that genuine swing bowlers are such a rare breed these days? It is a dying art, thats for sure. There arent too many playing Sheffield Shield cricket and there are very few coming through either. Its a shame, because if you put a man like Chaminda Vaas on a good wicket and with a ball that swings, the batsmans technique has got to be pretty perfect to overcome one of his good tight spells. Personally, my trick was that I bowled stump-to-stump, so if they missed I had a chance of an lbw. But it is a dying art. The best of Australias recent crop was Damien Fleming, but he had a chronic shoulder problem and couldnt get the pace that he wanted out of it. Hes now gone into coaching.In 1989, Allan Border was driven by a singular urge to win back the Ashes. Yeah, AB was our Captain Grumpy, and he was well-nicknamed, because he had openly admitted he didnt want the job. But he grew into the role alright, and the two captains that followed him, Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh, definitely took on board elements of what AB had taught them. I imagine the same goes for Ponting, although Ive never played with him, so I wouldnt know.Was that tour the true start of Australias professional era? Not really, because we were still only halfway to the professionalism that this team has reached now. We still celebrated hard and fast, whereas the blokes dont do that this days because they cant afford to. We enjoyed ourselves much more on the 1989 tour than they will on the 2005 tour. That is a fact of life. Sixteen years ago, we toured with a scorer, a physio, a coach and a manager. These days there is an entourage of 13 or 14 people. Its a lot more professional, but if you talk to AB the thrill on the `89 tour was incredible. We had such a camaraderie going. We toured around on a bus the whole time, and we were on a winning run the whole way. We didnt lose a single Test, and but for two terrible washouts we might have won 6-0.Australia just might be caught out if they try to play like millionairesYour two tours were eight years apart. Incredibly, the same can be said of Australias attack, which looks like being identical to the 1997 line-up of McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and Kasprowicz. On the one hand its a tribute to their fitness, but on the other, you have to hand it to the selectors, because they have got Brett Lee on the sidelines and chomping at the bit. If the Test was being played tomorrow, he wouldnt be in the squad. Theyve left him like a caged lion and will let him loose in the one-dayers, where poor old Bangladesh and the English are going to cop it. He wants to play in the first Test, and the only way he can do that is by knocking a few heads and having a terrific series.So far this summer, its not been raw pace but swing - and Bangladeshs inability to play it - that has been the talking point. What have you made of Matthew Hoggard? Hoggard is your typical old English workhorse, another of those guys like Gus Fraser, Mike Hendrick and Geoff Arnold who will keep running in all day. But hes penetrative as well. Hell get some wickets but hell keep it tight as well and Australia arent used to that - they are used to one or two loose balls an over. If England have got him bowling a 10- or 12-over spell, with Flintoff and Harmison operating on a five or six-over change at other end, plus the fourth seamer, Jones or Anderson, its a pretty good attack. Thats discarding Giles. Hes not going to run through Australia. But the pacers could, and Australia will be under real pressure if they lose early wickets. Theres still a bit of doubt over the fitness of both Flintoff and Harmison though.And what about Harmison? Is he up to the challenge? I saw a bit of him in South Africa and I was impressed, I must say. He wasnt fit towards the end and he struggled, but in Australia three winters back he was homesick all the time and didnt want to play. I cant imagine a person like Troy Cooley can have managed to turn him around, I reckon its more likely to have been Rod Marsh whos done the work, got his mind back on the job and made him tougher.What do the Aussies make of Marsh and Co. being in the England camp for this series? I guess we beat our chests a bit and claim that England need our coaches to become competitive again. But theres been no harm done at all, and I imagine that with all those Australians on the county circuit as well, theyve toughened up a lot of county sides too.Michael Vaughan is taking a tough approach to this summer, much like Border in 89, in fact. Do you think its working? Vaughan is the key. Hes done it before against Australia, and his aim is to get back to the form he showed at Edgbaston in the Champions Trophy last summer. The way he took to Lee in that game was brilliant - no slogging at all, but he simply murdered him, and none of the bowlers knew where to bowl. Hes the captain, so if he can get to that frame of mind again, then England will be a threat.After such a long history of success, do you think Australia might just fear the end of the line? I certainly hope they arent complacent, because they just might be caught out if they try to play like millionaires. They havent had a lot of cricket under their belts leading up to this tour, and guys like Justin Langer who arent in the one-day squad will only get a couple of hits before the first Test. They cant afford to be complacent, but if things get tough, it might just sow a few seeds with the blokes who are contemplating retirement soon. Their bodies might not hold up and they might be caught short. But on the other hand, if Australia get away to a good start then England have got no chance. They have got to be competitive in that first Test at Lords or else its goodnight. Lucas Torreira Jersey . The recently retired Stern was elected Friday to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and will be enshrined with the class of 2014 on Aug. Mohamed Elneny Arsenal Jersey .ca looks back at the stories and moments that made the year memorable. http:///...ding-Arsenal-Jersey/ . At a Manhattan federal court hearing, attorney Jordan Siev said his law office has gotten more evidence nearly every day to support its lawsuit accusing MLB and Selig of going on a "witch hunt" to ruin Rodriguezs reputation and career. He said the defendants went "way over the line. CINCINNATI -- Billy Hamilton was very matter-of-fact about his latest impressive play, one that turned the game when it was still close.Hamilton robbed the Cardinals of a potential two-run hit in the fourth inning, and the Cincinnati Reds pulled away to a 9-1 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Saturday.Zack Cozart hit a pair of doubles during run-scoring innings that included St. Louis misplays, and Hamiltons catch-and-throw wiped out a Cardinals rally in the early going.Its my job to catch the ball, Hamilton said. If a great catch happens, it happens. I dont go out there to make great catches.With runners on first and second, Hamilton caught up with Alberto Rosarios fly to the warning track, smacked into the wall after making the catch, and threw back to the infield to double up a surprised Greg Garcia at first base to end the fourth.Garcia made a good, aggressive move, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said. If the ball comes off the wall at all, hes going to score. He (Hamilton) closed a lot of space in a hurry and made a great play.Pinch hitter Ramon Cabreras two-run single in the seventh inning put the Reds ahead 4-1. Cincinnati used four walks by Jerome Williams to score five times in the eighth, capped by Tucker Barnharts bases-loaded double.Dan Straily (11-7) gave up three hits, including Jedd Gyorkos homer, and a career-high seven walks in only 5 2/3 innings. Gyorko hit his career-high 25th home run, 18 since the All-Star break.I didnt know I had (walked) that many until I came in here, Straily said. Its baseball. Its one of those bizarre lines you see every once in a while.The Cardinals have homered in a club-record 22 straight games, hitting a total of 43 in that span. Only San Diego (25 games) has a longer streak this season. The 2002 Rangers set the major league record of 27.The Cardinals have lost seven of 11. Granit Xhaka Jersey. Theyre still in position to get the NLs second wild-card spot, staying ahead of the Mets, Pirates and Marlins.Cincinnati used a couple of Cardinals miscues to squeeze out two runs against Jaime Garcia (10-11). The lefty had allowed at least five runs in each of his last three starts.Right fielder Stephen Piscotty lost track of Tyler Holts fly ball in the third, letting it fall for a double. Holt scored on Cozarts two-out double.Another double by Cozart helped the Reds load the bases in the fifth, and Rosarios passed ball let in a run for a 2-1 lead.OOPSHamilton ran into umpire Angel Hernandez as he rounded first base and thought about trying for second on an errant throw in the seven the seventh inning. Hamilton went down and had to stay at first for a while. He took second on his 58th steal of the season.GOLDEN TICKETJoey Votto used a song from Willy Wonka as his walk-up music for his first at-bat. Gene Wilder, who played the part of Wonka, died on Monday.TRAINERS ROOMCardinals: RH Mike Leake will fly into Cincinnati on Sunday morning and threw in the bullpen before the final game of the series. Leake has been sidelined since Aug. 22 with the shingles.Reds: 2B Brandon Phillips was scratched from the lineup with a sore left foot that took a foul ball on Friday.UP NEXTCardinals: Carlos Martinez (12-7) is 4-1 career against the Reds with a 2.72 ERA, including four starts and 11 relief appearances. The Cardinals are 13-2 when hes pitched against Cincinnati.Reds: Tim Adleman (2-2) faces the Cardinals for the first time. Hes 1-1 with a 3.94 ERA in three starts since his promotion on Aug. 16.---Follow Joe Kay on Twitter: http://twitter.com/apjoekay ' ' '