Isaiah Crowells 85-yard TD run helped the Browns back finish | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
wzh123 Nov 28 '19
Major League Baseball has suspended Milwaukee Brewers outfielder and 2011 league MVP Ryan Braun without pay for the remainder of the 2013 season for PED use. Cheap MLB Jerseys . That means hes out for the final 65 games of the season. As a result of the suspension, Braun will forfeit $3.25 million. This is what Braun and his lawyers came up with as far as a prepared statement: "As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it ... has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization. I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed - all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love." Why didnt Braun say he did PEDs? While Braun agreed to the suspension, he does not expressly admit in his statement that he used PEDs; he just says mistakes were made. Presumably, that was done to avoid incriminating himself (any further). His lawyers want to insulate Braun from potential criminal or civil liability. While that may never come into play, his lawyers want to be extra careful with what Braun says and admits. Why a 65-game suspension? MLB suspended Braun under its Drug Policy called the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The Drug Policy provides for a suspension of 50 games for the first violation, 100 games for the second and banishment for the third. The Drug Policy also provides that absent a positive drug test, MLB can rely on other evidence to show that a player has used or possessed PEDs. Thats called a non-analytical positive. Thats what happened here. The Drug Policy also provides that a player may be suspended if he has facilitated the sale or distribution of PEDs. For baseball, facilitation could include lying about a connection to Biogenesis, since that would interfere with the investigation into the anti-aging clinic. Back to the 65 games. The length of the suspension suggests that a deal was reached. While its tough to know for sure without being a performance enhanced fly on the wall during negotiations, the sides may have agreed to dispose of the matter, including a guarantee of no appeal, in exchange for meeting somewhere in the middle – or close to it. I thought baseball said it might suspend players for 100 games. So does the 65 game suspension suggest that MLB didnt think it had a great case? No - quite the opposite. In order to agree to a suspension without a positive drug test, while also forfeiting the right of appeal, Brauns lawyers must have concluded that the evidence against their client was substantial and overwhelming. If it wasnt, Brauns lawyers would have vigorously contested the matter. Indeed, the circumstances as a whole suggest MLBs case was strong. Didnt Braun test positive for PEDs back in 2011? Yes. Braun tested positive for an elevated testosterone level in 2011 (20 times the normal level), but that suspension was overturned by the arbitrator Shyam Das on a chain of custody issue involving Brauns sample. You might remember that Braun adamantly and dogmatically declared his innocence. In part, he said this about clearing his name: "I cant wait to get that opportunity. This is all B.S. I am completely innocent." Tell me more about the appeal. The Drug Policy provides that a sample is to be taken by a "collector", and further, the collector must, absent unusual circumstances, FedEx the sample out that "same day". In the case of Braun, the collector Dino Laurenzi, Sr. didnt FedEx the sample out that same day and Brauns lawyers successfully attacked the suspension on that basis. Baseball was incensed with Das ruling – and they had good reason. The same Drug Policy also provides that if a collector cant get a sample out the same day, he or she can store it in a "cool and secure" location. Thats precisely what the collector did; still Das found for Braun and reversed the suspension. Didnt Braun say something mean about the collector? He wasnt terribly polite. He said this: "There are a lot of things weve heard about the collection process, the collector, and some other people involved in the process that have certainly been concerning to us." Braun was suggesting that Mr. Laurenzi had somehow acted unprofessionally or unethically, and ultimately – and at the very least – had not properly discharged his duties. Is that a problem from a legal standpoint? Defamation possibly comes into play. Defamation refers to saying something untrue that lowers a person in the esteem and minds of the public. Assuming that Braun was indeed dirty in 2011, Mr. Laurenzi could take the position that Braun defamed him. I dont think we will see Mr. Laurenzi file a lawsuit. Nevertheless, there is a reasonable basis upon which to consider the merits of such a claim. That last sentence was very lawyerly of you. Sorry. Ill try and avoid that. Does the 65 game suspension cover the 2011 positive drug test? Tough to know at this point. MLB did say it commends "Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions". So maybe the reference to past actions includes 2011. According to the T.J. Quinn from ESPNs Outside The Lines, the "evidence showed Braun used [a] sophisticated doping regimen for [an] extended period" of time. That may also suggest it did include 2011. Still, though, for now its not clear. Could the Brewers terminate Brauns contract? It would be tough. Very tough. Braun is owed $122 million through 2020, with a $15 million mutual option for 2021. Punishments for PED use are governed by the collectively bargained Drug Policy. So when a player tests positive, punishments are handled by the Drug Policy. Thats why the Drug Policy is there in the first place. Courts dont like it when a business has a specific policy in place dealing with a specific offence, and that business elects to ignore that specific policy and does its own thing. That is not, however, the complete answer. The player contract at Paragraph 7(b)(1) allows a team to terminate a contract if a player "fails, refuses or neglects to conform his personal conduct to the standards of good citizenship and good sportsmanship or to keep himself in first-class physical condition or to obey the clubs training rules." As well, Paragraph 7(b)(3), allows for termination if a player "fails, refuses or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any manner materially breach this contract." This is broad language and arguably may allow a team, for example, to allege that the use of PEDs had an adverse impact on a players health after he signed his deal, and on that basis he failed to discharge his obligations under his contract to keep himself in "first-class physical condition". That is hard to show. For example, unless a team can show a direct link between PED use and a players injury, they will fail in their bid to terminate or fire a player. A team could also argue that a player misrepresented himself before he signed a big deal, and on that basis they should be allowed to terminate the contract since they were not getting the player they thought they were getting. Again, though, the Drug Policy contemplates for drug use and how it should be handled. So thats your go-to document when a player tests positive. Fine....be that way. Could the Yankees terminate A-Rods contract? That would also be tough but may be worth considering. Rodriguez is 38-years-old as of July 27 and the Yankees owe him $86 million over the next 4 years (not including this season). The Yankees may believe they have better cheaper options available to them. Presumably, they would love nothing more than to rid themselves of his contract. In order to do so, they would have the very difficult task of showing that his injuries are the result of PED use. Again this is very tough to do and would likely not meet with success. However, the Yankees could look to void A-Rods contract with the real end game being a buyout on favourable terms. Why do lawyers charge for opening mail? Envelopes are heavy. Does Brauns suspension mean that all other players are also guilty? No. Braun accepting a suspension is not some type of admission that everyone else is guilty. Each case will be examined on its merits and different players may react differently. For example, another player faced with the same evidence as Braun may elect to contest the matter. That player could attack Anthony Bosch, the founder of Biogenesis and a key source of evidence. As someone who may have engaged in criminal activity, he lacks credibility and may have assisted the league with a view to insulating himself from liability. Indeed, Bosch is flawed. There may be upwards of 20 players suspended and to conclude that all players will go quietly is premature. This may just be the tip of the PED iceberg. Eric Macramalla is TSNs Legal Analyst and can be heard each week on TSN Radio 1050. You can follow him on Twitter @EricOnSportslaw. NFL Jerseys Sale . PETERSBURG, Fla. Authentic NFL Jerseys . Artturi Lehkonen, Joni Nikko and Ville Leskinen had the other goals for Finland (1-0) while Juuse Saros stopped 28 shots. Tim Robin Johnsgard had the lone goal for Norway (0-2). https://www.cheapnfljerseysjustwholesale.com/ . The 27-year-old Scrivens will be joining his third NHL club since signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs as a free agent in 2010. The move also reunites with him with head coach Dallas Eakins from their time together with the American Hockey Leagues Toronto Marlies. CLEVELAND -- The Ravens were in a huge hole and about to be buried.Joe Flacco dug them out.Flacco threw two touchdown passes to wide receiver Mike Wallace and Baltimore, sparked by returning a blocked extra point, rallied from 20 down and beat the Cleveland Browns 25-20 on Sunday.Justin Tucker kicked three field goals -- the last with 2:56 left -- and the Ravens (2-0), who were down by nearly three touchdowns less than 10 minutes into the game, withstood Clevelands final drive to improve to 15-2 against the Browns under coach John Harbaugh.In his second game back after undergoing knee surgery that ended his 2015 season, Flacco again showed why hes one of the NFLs top quarterbacks and one of the games most unflappable leaders.Ive probably never been around someone as cool as Joe, said Wallace, who signed as a free agent this winter. Nothing ever bothers him.The Ravens scored 25 unanswered points and hung on when linebacker C.J. Mosley intercepted Browns quarterback Josh McCown at the goal line with 13 seconds left.It was a good way to end it, on defense, Mosley said. We just had to pull it out.Baltimore, which went an uncharacteristic 5-11 last season, was in danger of getting blown out after McCowns second TD pass to rookie Corey Coleman in the first quarter made it 20-0.But Ravens defensive end Lawrence Guy got a hand on Patrick Murrays extra point and rookie cornerback Tavon Young scooped up the bouncing ball and returned it for a rare, two-point defensive conversion -- a play that ignited the comeback.Nobody cracked. Nobody panicked, Harbaugh said. Nobody pointed a finger.It was the second-biggest comeback in Baltimores history, and Flacco told his teammates afterward he was proud to be part of it.It wasnt pretty, it wasnt great, he said. Do you want to play that kind of game in September? Not necessarily, but every single game in January and come February, where we hope to be, is going to be like that.McCown stayed in the game despite an injured left shoulder for the Browns (0-2), who were hurt by a missed field goal and three costly penalties in the fourth quarter.Cleveland was driving for a go-ahead TD in the final minute behind McCown, who completed a 20-yard pass to Terrelle Pryor to the Baltimore 10 with 27 seconds left.However, the big play was nullified because Pryor, who was held on the play by Webb, was called for taunting when he flipped the ball toward the Ravens defensive back.Webb said he wasnt sure if Pryor said anything.If he said some thingss, I guess the referee heard it, Webb said. Cheap College Jerseys. They are real tough on those things now. Good call, thats what Im going to say.Pryor felt he did nothing wrong.Im just saying theres other people that can catch a ball and spin it and look at players in the face, Pryor said. But if I get up and drop the ball, clearly I wasnt trying to drop it on nobody.HEAVY HEARTS: The Ravens dedicated the win to defensive line coach Clarence Brooks, who passed away Saturday at 65 from cancer.Brooks joined Baltimores staff in 2005 and helped the Ravens develop one of the NFLs top defensive fronts. He spent time with the team during training camp.That was for Clarence Brooks, Harbaugh said. I think what the players did out there in his name says it all.HURTING QB: Filling in for Robert Griffin III who broke a shoulder bone in last weeks opener, McCown showed amazing heart in playing hurt.Following the game, McCown couldnt lift his left arm and his eyes welled with tears as he talked about staying on the field. He said his plan is to play next week against Miami, but the Browns may have to turn to rookie Cody Kessler.Id go to war with that guy anytime, Browns guard John Greco said of McCown. That guy gets the (stuff) knocked out of him seven, eight times a game, keeps getting up and making throws.STUNNING START: Nobody expected the Browns to do what they did in the first 15 minutes, which ended with them leading 20-2.It was the teams largest lead after one quarter since Dec. 3, 1961, when the Browns led Dallas 21-0 en route to a 38-17 win.BLOCK PARTY: Down 20-0 and needing something, anything, to get them going, the Ravens executed the blocked extra point, which Harbaugh said embodied his teams fight.Its the toughest two seconds in football, he said. Then a rookie (Young) is exactly where hes supposed to be in case it gets blocked, hes right there to scoop and score. Thats the kind of thing as a coach you feel really good about.AS THE CROW FLIES: Isaiah Crowells 85-yard TD run helped the Browns back finish with 133 overall. Taking a handoff up the middle, Crowell got an excellent block from fullback Malcolm Johnson, blasted through the secondary and went untouched for the second-longest TD run in Cleveland history. Bobby Mitchell ripped off a 90-yarder in 1959.---AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and AP NFL Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/AP-NFL ' ' '