med had a dunk, Ponds hit a 3 and Mussini converted a | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
wzh123 Dez 22 '18
In July and August, espnWs weekly essay series will focus on body image. Adidas Ultra Boost Clearance .The newspaper article quoted my coach as saying, She wrestles just as well as the guys. I was one of four girls on my high schools wrestling team.There werent enough of us to form a separate team, so we regularly trained with and competed against guys. About my male teammates, coach said, Our guys treat em just like everyone else.I remember things being more complicated.Two reporters from the local paper contacted me in the winter of 1997. They wanted to do a story on my life as a wrestler.I was 14 at the time and had been figure skating for almost 10 years. Figure skating was a nerve-wracking sport that I hoped would take me to the Olympics. To keep my conditioning up and ease my self-imposed pressure, I joined different teams. I got introduced to wrestling in physical education class.We were allowed to spar, and to my amazement, I defeated the other girls in my class. These wins didnt go to my head, though. Wrestling -- the sport, the matches, the moves -- was not popular among my female classmates.I assumed I won because they were either unfamiliar with that kind of contact, they were less strong or ambivalent. Figure skating required strength, but the type that came from pointed toes, extended legs and aerodynamic arm movements.Wrestling was tumbling, working your way out of someones grasp and then knocking them down. I wanted more.When I mentioned this to my best friend, she egged me on. She already wanted to join the freshman wrestling team, but she didnt want to do it alone. Out of solidarity and curiosity, I agreed.What ensued were two of the most mentally and physically daunting years of my life. Preparing to be tackled was so anxiety-inducing that my best friend and I would occasionally slap each other in the face to get over it.I was no stranger to the pain of conditioning, but the constant sprawling, then standing up, sprinting in place -- just to get ready to battle each other -- was something else. Sometimes I closed my eyes before lunging at someone. I was doing moves I had never done anywhere else, like the cross-face cradle and the single-leg takedown.There were a few guys who helped me with strategy and technique. They also shared that several teammates didnt think girls should wrestle guys. The rest seemed to believe we had the right to be on the team, they just werent comfortable with fighting -- or losing to -- a girl.This was evident at matches. We were supposed to sit together as a team, but the guys would end up keeping a little distance from the girls.There was also the winter ski trip. Traditionally, the guys would go to a ski lodge over winter break. The girls were never invited, nor did we ask to be included. It was taxing enough to be on a team where I didnt feel totally welcome; fighting for a spot on the ski trip felt like even more of an intrusion.Friends sometimes joked that coed wrestling would end up being sexual. My father worried it would create a green light for guys to be rough with girls off the mat. My mother supported my decision to compete but feared I would get hurt.Unbeknownst to me at the time, other parents and coaches expressed their concern for our safety too. Some hoped we would quit. This was the first time in my coachs 43-year career that girls had come out to wrestle for him, so he consulted other coaches around the city and state for guidance.I was just trying to survive and maybe even win. Strength-wise, I was no match for most of my male competitors, but my endurance and flexibility helped me wear them out and avoid getting pinned.My first win against a guy happened that first year on the team. Once I got him on the ground, I was able to pin his shoulders to the mat by splitting his legs apart. I pulled one near his face with my arms, and held the other down by wrapping my legs around his ankles. This is a cross-face cradle, the only pinning maneuver I really knew how to do.When the match was over, my coach said I received a standing ovation. I only remember my slim, 103-pound opponent shaking my hand and then hanging his head when he returned to his team. When I competed against and defeated other girls, all my teammates cheered.Despite these celebrations, girls wrestling never grew to be popular at my high school.In 1997, the reporters at the local paper didnt have this information. They pursued the story by photographing my training sessions and interviewing me, my coaches and my father.The heart of the story focused on my relationship with my dad and how he was not thrilled about my decision to wrestle. He cringed, but he never stopped me. In fact, he said, I guess itd be nice if this is the worst problem I ever have with her.Today, I would focus more on the fact that my mother supported my participation on the team, the norms and boundaries that coed wrestling upsets and the marginalization I never addressed with my team. It ultimately led me to quit after my sophomore year. The sport was too hard to do without having more love and acceptance from my teammates.Eryn Ashleigh Mathewson is a print and radio journalist. Her work has appeared in Womens eNews, Cremé Magazine and on 94.1FM KPFA Pacifica Radio in Berkeley. Adidas Ultra Boost China Wholesale . PETERSBURG, Fla. Adidas Ultra Boost Wholesale . -- Jonathan Drouin gave Halifax the boost it needed to edge host Sherbrooke Phoenix 3-2 in a shootout in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League action. http://www.cheapauthenticultraboost.com/ .C. -- Calgarys Kevin Koe did it the hard way again. NEW YORK -- Shamorie Ponds hit seven 3-pointers, finished with 26 points and nine assists -- all career highs -- and Federico Mussini scored 20 points on 7-of-9 shooting as St. Johns cruised to a 90-62 win over Fordham on Thursday night.Ponds made 9 of 13 from the field, including 7-of-11 3-pointers, and had seven rebounds and four steals. Bashir Ahmed added 11 points and Tariq Owens scored 10.Ahmed had a dunk, Ponds hit a 3 and Mussini converted a 3-point play with one second on the clock and St. Johns (5-5) led 42-33 at the hhalf. Adidas Ultra Boost Discount. Owens jumper to open the second-half scoring pushed the lead into double figures for good and started a 13-5 run that made it 57-38 with 15 minutes to go. Ponds hit two more 3-pointers -- converting a 4-point play on the first -- over that span.Chris Sengfelder had 20 points, including a career-high six 3s, for Fordham (5-5). The Rams shot 29.6 percent from the field after halftime. cheap falcons jerseys cheap ravens jerseys cheap bills jerseys cheap bears jerseys cheap bengals jerseys cheap cowboys jerseys cheap lions jerseys cheap texans jerseys cheap colts jerseys cheap jaguars jerseys cheap chiefs jerseys cheap rams jerseys cheap dolphins jerseys cheap vikings jerseys cheap saints jerseys cheap giants jerseys cheap jets jerseys cheap eagles jerseys cheap steelers jerseys cheap 49ers jerseys ' ' '