Physicians Association and a team physician for the Chicago White Sox, | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » CALISIA » Fehler auf der Seite
Mitglied
corse178 Jan 17 '18
It isnt often that a team can say they have dominated Australia but South Africa believe they can. Nike Air Vapormax Sale . They inflicted a 5-0 ODI whitewash at home on Steven Smiths side - albeit one with a depleted bowling attack - and rate themselves highly as they head to Australia for a three-Test series.To beat Australia the way we did, really convincingly and not giving them a sniff, will leave a bit of a scar on them mentally, Faf du Plessis, who will captain South Africa in Australia because AB de Villiers is injured, said. I also appreciate that a Test team is a different team, and probably a more mature team, but if we can start really well in that first Test match to remind them that we are in the same space as a Test team, we will have a really good tour.South Africa won their previous two Test series in Australia, but circumstances then were different to what they are now. In 2008-09 and 2012-13, they were fresh off victories in England, and while they were ranked No. 1 on their last trip to Australia, South Africa are now in fifth place after a difficult 2015-16 season.Du Plessis was quick to point out that Australia were also not the force of old, and not just because they recently lost a Test series 3-0 in Sri Lanka.When I first started playing against Australia, the guys were the toughest team to play against because of their personalities. They were guys that competed by being verbal, du Plessis said. If you look at the Australian team now, their personalities have changed. They dont have those aggressive guys that are at you the whole day, swearing the whole day. We play a similar brand of cricket now. We are very competitive but we respect each others personal space. That was not always the case during the five ODIs in South Africa, though it was mostly the home team driving the banter. In Port Elizabeth, Matthew Wade ran into Tabraiz Shamsi during a single and words were exchanged, while Imran Tahir laid into David Warner in Cape Town for reasons unknown to everyone. Tahir is not in the Test squad but Shamsi is and has answered du Plessis call to boss the opposition with body language.South Africa are already doing that through pre-series bluster focused on the momentum they will take into the Tests. Several ODI players who are also in the Test squad, such as Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock and JP Duminy, have performed well and du Plessis believed that would boost them ahead of the Tests.Confidence definitely plays a role, he said. The most important thing for me is that the players are in form. No matter what the format, if you are in form you feel confident and that is something amazing to take over to Australia.Their recent performances against Australia, and the talk ahead of the teams departure, meant South Africa had created an expectation and du Plessis tried to manage it.Peoples expectation will be of us going there and dominating Australia again but thats not the case. Weve had an amazing series, which has been the highlight of a lot of our careers, but we go to Australia on a blank slate, he said. The guys are confident but its not just going in guns blazing and thinking we can dominate them. We will have to earn that right again.South Africas first Test in Australia will begin in Perth on November 3, before they travel to Hobart for the second from November 12. The final match of the series - beginning in Adelaide on November 24 - will be South Africas first day-night Test. Cheap Nike Air Vapormax . There are surprises among the Vezina candidates, but most of the others are standard top-tier performers, even if the two Hart Trophy runners-ups have never been quite as good as they have been through the first half of the season. Nike Air Vapormax Mens . There are some early surprises in the race for the Hart Trophy, but two of the contenders are the leagues biggest stars over the past decade. There are many more players in contention for the awards than just the three that Ive named, and a good or bad week can easily alter the landscape, but through the first 20 or so games of the NHL season, this is how the awards races look to me. http://www.vapormaxshoesforsale.com/ . Just not the game. Kyle Palmieri scored two straight goals in the third period to rally the Anaheim Ducks past the Philadelphia Flyers 3-2 on Tuesday night. It isnt every 5-year-old who asks for Henry Grays famous anatomy textbook as a Christmas gift. But for one who did, that gift was the first step in launching an impressive career in sports medicine that now involves caring for two professional teams.Dr. Robin West, orthopedic surgeon and chairman of Inova Sports Medicine in Fairfax, Virginia, followed her childhood interest in sketches of the knee all the way to her current position as lead team physician for the Washington Nationals and director of sports medicine and head team physician for the Washington Redskins. She is the first woman to hold these positions in the National Football League and Major League Baseball. And while there are a handful of women who serve as team physicians in each league (eight, including West, in the two leagues combined), Wests leadership role is unique.A few minutes in conversation with Wests mentors, colleagues, employers or, perhaps most importantly, patients quickly reveals just how well respected and universally trusted she is.Dr. James Bradley, head team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers, mentored West during her sports medicine fellowship and knew right away she had the intangibles to be successful in caring for elite athletes. He refers to the collection of those intangibles as the sports medicine gene.Some people have it and some people dont, says Bradley. And you can tell right away with doctors.He describes an example of this as the ability to react calmly in a crisis situation -- something team physicians face when they rush onto the field to tend to an injured athlete. When a crisis hits, they slow down. They calm down and they start thinking.Bradley believes Wests combination of technical skills as a surgeon, combined with her consistently calm, reassuring manner -- no matter what the circumstances -- is what makes her unique.These qualities led to Bradleys hiring West to work alongside him with the Steelers, a position she held for 11 years. During that time, the athletes came to trust her implicitly. According to Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis, who overlapped with West during the running backs tenure with the Steelers, She can kind of smile in a way that is calming -- something he says is critical when an anxious injured athlete looks to the team doctor to determine just how serious the situation could be.The smile Bettis refers to is one of Wests hallmarks, which belies a steely confidence and a competitive edge honed while West was a swimmer in high school, then at Johns Hopkins. Scheduling conflicts forced her to practice with the boys swim and water polo teams, ensuring she would always feel comfortable even in the predominantly male world of orthopedic surgery. She not only survived the path to a career in sports medicine -- she thrived.In the world of professional sports, where injuries can threaten an athletes career longevity, word of a top orthopedic surgeon travels fast. Broncos tackle Russell Okung entered free agency earlier this year, fresh off a shoulder injury that required surgery. Okung knew any chance for him to land a starting spot with another team was ddependent on the health of his shoulder. Vapormax Flyknit Triple Black. He chose West to operate. Why? I started looking around, Okung said, and her name just kept coming up. People spoke very highly of her and what she did.He noted that West was spot on when setting expectations about his recovery. As Okung began to visit with interested teams, he found out just how well West was known in NFL circles. Some teams I would visit, they didnt even think they needed to do my medical evaluation knowing that she did my surgery.Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo and Redskins president Bruce Allen might be involved in different sports, but they are in agreement about the strength of Wests qualifications, citing her expertise as the reason she was deemed the best person for the job. They each say West has fit in well in their organizations and that the athletes have responded extremely favorably to her presence. For those who would suggest athletes might not feel comfortable sharing their medical concerns with a woman, West thinks the opposite could be true.I actually find that a lot of the players seek me out, West said. I think a lot of them, at least in football, have been raised by their mothers and grandmothers ... so they see them in these authoritative roles or these roles of nurturing.Still, the number of female team physicians in professional sports remains small (again, just eight in a group of nearly 300 team physicians in the NFL and MLB alone) and several challenges remain, including things as simple as access to the necessary facilities.Dr. Kathy Weber, president of the MLB Team Physicians Association and a team physician for the Chicago White Sox, recalls encountering some barriers -- literal ones -- when the White Sox were making their World Series run in 2005. As she tried to enter the training room, shouts of, You cant go in there were repeatedly directed her way. Weber noted there has been increasing acceptance in the majors as athletes become more familiar with the presence of female physicians, but at the end of the day, its the skill set that is most important, and not just those of the technical variety. Weber said she believes intangibles such as flexibility, work ethic and good communication skills are paramount to success.West must be doing something right because she seems to be enjoying her roles, especially now that both seasons are in full swing. When asked whether she sees herself as a role model for little girls, West is quick to say she hopes her example shows what is possible for all young minds.I hope boys can realize that girls can do this, and girls can realize that they can do anything they want to do.Bettis reinforces the notion that the team physician role should be open to whomever is the best fit, regardless of gender.The role is exactly that. Its a role, Bettis said. It doesnt have a male or female face attached to it. It has qualifications... and [Dr. West] checks all the boxes. If I was running an organization, shed be my pick. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '