,000. Robert Smith (1990) and Maurice Clarett (2002) were the others.---More A | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
jcy123 Apr 20 '19
For 16 years, the rhythm of my life in August was simple: helmet, pads and two-a-days. Cheap Puma Shoes Free Shipping . The schedule repeated like clockwork every year, from Glenbard West High School to the University of Iowa to the NFL.Until I retired in 2007.And then I thought: What do normal people do in August?The freedom was a bit jarring, after spending seven seasons in the cocoon of the NFL, where everything -- and I mean everything -- is scheduled and regimented from August through the end of the season.The NFL players who retired just this week will most likely have the same feelings. Eugene Monroe, Phil Loadholt and Greg Jennings all could still play ball, but they shut it down -- for good.We all retire for different reasons. I had a couple of small offers to play an eighth year for my fifth NFL team, but for what? To cover kicks again, to attack the four-man wedge, to scrap for a roster spot? Nah. Im good. I didnt see the value, and family life was calling.My wife was pregnant at the time with our second son, Patrick. Irish twins, they call it. And my oldest, Matthew Jr. -- who has Down syndrome -- was in therapy. I couldnt bring myself to move everyone across the country. Or to leave them behind for a job. No way.Family, ultimately, was my deciding factor. For others, its the grind of another season. It was no surprise to see vets like Monroe, Loadholt and Jennings call it quits on the eve of training camp. Even without the old-school two-a-days, the anticipation of a pro camp can absolutely crush your soul as a player.And remember, these vets arent built out of rubber like the rookies. They have injuries to deal with, their bodies are beaten down to almost nothing and the daily maintenance required to just get on the practice field can wear down even the toughest dudes.Plus, the players in todays game are now more educated than ever. They get it when it comes to injuries, concussions and future risks. Get paid, cash out and move on. Look at Calvin Johnson, who made more than $100 million playing ball. Hes already a Hall of Fame player, in my opinion. Hang it up? Why not? His body was starting to hurt.But just because the decision is clear doesnt make it easy. I remember staring at my retirement papers on the kitchen counter for days. It was like a piece of my life waiting to die.My wife mailed them. She had to. I just couldnt do it.The NFL has some nice benefits waiting down the road for vested veterans -- annuity, 401k, pension -- but all the security in the world cant prepare you for your first August without that familiar routine.I was in my early 30s when I hung em up. I drifted around for a while, jobless and without a plan. I had a degree in journalism from Iowa. That counts, right? But whats next?For me, it was graduate school. A masters in writing and publishing from DePaul in Chicago. Poetry classes. Non-fiction. Short story workshops. I entered an unknown environment. No one cared about NFL football, which I needed. Those classes became a bridge, a part of the transition.Was it a perfect jump into life outside of football? Not really. It was hard. Heck, its still hard. You never really get over losing that piece of your life.Sure, I miss the games. But those are secondary. What I really miss is being on a team and spending everyday inside a competitive environment with like-minded people. You cant recreate that stuff when you leave the game.Coaching DBs at IC Catholic Prep in Elmhurst, Illinois, is the closest Ive come. The opportunity to get back on the grass, to compete, to talk football ... thats priceless. Sure, it keeps me young. And I love the kids. Thats a special thing when you build a relationship with your players. Man, its awesome. So is the feeling when your guys start to develop in a football program you believe in.But, more than anything, I needed that competitiveness in my life. It gives me balance with family and work. It gives me an opportunity to escape the real world for three hours a day on the practice field and on Friday nights. And it brings me back to an environment that fits my personality.Ive been told Im a football guy. Thats probably true. I think its the best game in the world. And it prepared me for life more than I ever expected. But Im still adjusting to life without it. And in some ways, I always will be.ESPN.com NFL analyst Matt Bowen played seven seasons as a defensive back in the NFL. Puma Shoes Clearance Sale Ireland . Jason Zucker and Matt Cooke also scored for Minnesota, which has won five of six. Kuemper made five saves in the first, nine in the second, and nine in the third. The rookies best save came with 2:17 left in the third period when he denied former Wild forward Matt Cullen from just outside of the crease on the right side. Cheap Puma Shoes Ireland . Burris threw two TD passes, including a key 15-yard fourth-quarter strike to Bakari Grant that effectively countered a Toronto comeback bid and led Hamilton to a 33-19 victory. http://www.cheappumaireland.com/ . -- Canadian Andrew Wiggins got the ball on the wing, made a nifty spin move and then let go with a soft floater from about 10 feet that swished through the net in Allen Fieldhouse. EAST LANSING, Mich. -- A year ago, Michigan States Tyler OConnor was forced into action in what turned out to be the most significant game of the Big Ten regular season -- an upset win at Ohio State that vaulted the Spartans into the national championship race and ultimately kept the Buckeyes out.As badly as this season has gone for OConnor and his teammates, looking back at that game gives them some hope.When you go back and watch the film, its hard not to implant that image in your head about what we did against them last year, OConnor said. Well take some confidence into this game as well, but at the same time understand how good they are.Michigan State has fallen fast since last seasons Big Ten title. If the Spartans can upset the second-ranked Buckeyes this weekend , theyll merely be playing the role of spoilers in the national championship race, but that should be plenty of motivation in a rivalry thats picked up considerably in recent seasons.And speaking of motivation, Ohio State (9-1, 6-1 Big Ten) should have plenty of it, for obvious reasons.That was the reason why we didnt accomplish the goals that we had set for last year, so I think a lot of the guys take this game personal, safety Malik Hooker acknowledged.With star quarterback Connor Cook out injured, OConnor and Michigan State won the 2015 game against the Buckeyes on a 41-yard field goal by Michael Geiger as time expired. That ended Ohio States 23-game winning streak.It was definitely a terrible feeling, tight end Marcus Baugh said. Just disappointed we couldnt get that one. You dont want to feel that again.The Buckeyes are No. 2 in this weeks ranking from the playoff committee. A win this weekend would set up quite a showdown against rival Michigan to close the regular season.Saturdays game will be the finale at home this season for Michigan State (3-7, 1-6) -- and a chance for the Spartans to make up for at least some of the disappointments that have piled up this year.Here are a few things to watch when Michigan State hosts Ohio State:HAPPY VISITORS: The home team hasnt won in this series since Ohio State beat Michigan State in Columbus in 2007. The road team has taken all five regular-season games since. The teams also met in the 2013 Big Ten title game, which the Spartans won. Puma Ireland Shop. HISTORY: If the Spartans are looking for some historical comfort, last seasons game may not even be the best analogy. In 1998, Ohio State was No. 1 in the nation when it lost at home in November to an unranked Michigan State team.Spartans coach Mark Dantonio was an assistant for Michigan State then. The Spartans finished 6-6.We went down and played the number one team in Ohio, at Ohio Stadium, at Ohio State, and won, Dantonio said. Didnt go to a bowl game that year, but everybody seems to remember it, so, I guess thats something.KUDOS FOR RECEIVERS: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer this week praised the work of Ohio States outside receivers. They havent had a lot of flashy catches lately but have excelled throwing blocks that have sprung H-back Curtis Samuel, quarterback J.T. Barrett and running back Mike Weber for big gains.Meyer said those receivers, mainly Noah Brown, Parris Campbell and Terry McLaurin, had their best games the past two weeks, even though the box scores might not directly reflect it.Receivers were criticized earlier in the season when the passing game bogged down, but Meyer is now lauding them for their selflessness.Ive been around men who are complete buffoons about that kind of stuff, Meyer said. When you recruit them, you hope theyre not that way. You kind of try to get in their grill and find out if theyre a selfish guy, because our objective is to win the game at all costs.FORECAST: It was windy and rainy last year when these teams met, and the Spartans prevailed 17-14. Michigan State probably wouldnt mind another low-scoring game, and the National Weather Service says it could be windy, rainy and perhaps even a bit snowy in East Lansing on Saturday.MILESTONE: Ohio States Mike Weber, who played high school football at Cass Tech in Detroit, needs 65 yards rushing to become the third Ohio State freshman to reach 1,000. Robert Smith (1990) and Maurice Clarett (2002) were the others.---More AP college football: www.collegefootball.ap.org and https://twitter.com/AP-Top25 .---Follow Noah Trister at www.Twitter.com/noahtrister ' ' '