, it wasnt the best memory, | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
corse178 Jun 12 '18
SAN DIEGO -- Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale?paid tribute to late Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn on Monday, saying he quit chewing tobacco when Gwynn died of salivary gland cancer in June 2014 at age 54. Cheap Raiders Jerseys .He actually made a very big impact in my life. I chewed tobacco from 2007 until the day he passed away, Sale, who was picked as the American League All-Star starter, said at a news conference Monday. I remember seeing that, and just being so shocked. He was a larger-than-life person. He was an inspiration to the game for many, many people for a lot of different reasons. But I quit that day, and I havent touched it since.In a sense, I owe him a huge thank you for not only myself but for my family, and, you know, hopefully I can maybe sway somebody in the right direction as well like he did for me.Gwynn was one of the most beloved figures in San Diego sports history, as well as the face of the Padres for two decades. When he died, he was in his 12th season as coach at his alma mater, San Diego State.The All-Star Game will be played Tuesday night at Petco Park. Gwynn had as much to do as anyone with the downtown ballpark being built. The Hall of Famer played for the Padres his entire 20-year career, retiring after the 2001 season.The ballpark was approved by voters just two weeks after the Padres were swept by the New York Yankees in the 1998 World Series. Gwynn batted .500 in those four games, including hitting a home run off the right-field facade in Yankee Stadium in Game 1 off San Diegan David Wells.Gwynn will always be remembered as the greatest Padres player ever. He never played in Petco Park but there are plenty of reminders of him. Days before Gwynn was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007, the Padres unveiled a larger-than-life bronze statue of him beyond the outfield. It depicts him in the middle of his sweet left-handed swing. One of the streets outside Petco Park is Tony Gwynn Drive. His No. 19 is one of the teams retired numbers that greets fans as they enter the ballpark.Without giving details, the Padres said Gwynn will be honored during pregame ceremonies Tuesday.Gwynns death stunned baseball.Still, there are many happy memories of the former great, who had 3,141 hits, a .338 lifetime average and won eight National League batting titles.Some All-Stars have direct connections to Gwynn.Cole Hamels of the Texas Rangers grew up in San Diego and played at Rancho Bernardo High. Gwynns son, Tony Jr., played at Poway High.Most of my memories of Tony Gwynn are because he lived very close to where I grew up, Hamels said. Being able to see him driving down the street in that Porsche that he had, youd see him go by. Playing against his son, hed go hide out in the outfield to watch his son play because he didnt want to get bothered, and it was kind of cool to know that Tony Gwynn was watching your game, even though he was watching his son. But we always convinced ourselves that Tony Gwynn was there to watch us, too.Stephen Strasburg of the Washington Nationals was an unpolished player at West Hills High in suburban Santee, but he blossomed under Gwynn at San Diego State, becoming the first overall pick in the 2009 draft.Strasburg recalled Gwynn as one of the greatest hitters of all time, No. 1, but one of the greatest people of all time, as well. I grew up a huge Tony Gwynn fan being here. Playing for him, I got a chance to develop that relationship with him. I learned a lot, how to be not only the best baseball player, to be a real pro, but also to be, hopefully, a good human being.The Associated Press contributed to this report. Wholesale Raiders Jerseys . Tracey comes to the Blue Bombers after spending over a decade with Queens University. Most recently he was the schools assistant football coach. Cheap Raiders Store . -- Claudio Bieler hadnt scored since early September, and not from the run of play since mid-July. http://www.cheapraidersjerseys.net/marcell-ateman-womens-jersey/ .Y. -- Leading 3-0 with only 11:25 left, the Colorado Avalanche committed a seemingly meaningless penalty to give the New York Islanders a power play. Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh had seen Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown make some spectacular plays against his team.He will get another look at his old foe in Week 2 with McCown starting in place of Robert Griffin III, who suffered a potentially season-ending shoulder injury in the season opener against Philadelphia.Hes been on fire against us, Harbaugh said about McCown. He has thrown balls up in the air. A guy catches it with his feet for a touchdown last year. I remember this guy just having no conscience and just throwing the ball in there and completing passes against us. We have a lot of respect for him. We know what kind of a player he is. We know how good he is, and hes super good against us. We know we have our hands full. It will be all hands on deck to get ready for the offense led by Josh McCown.The Browns are starting multiple quarterbacks for an NFL record 15th straight season, according to Elias Sports Bureau. The 37-year-old McCown has managed to win two of his three starts against Baltimore, sometimes in the most uncanny way.On one particular sequence last season, McCown threw an 18-yard pass that tight end Gary Barnidge caught between his legs while falling to the turf. McCown would eventually throw for a franchise record 457 yards in Clevelands 33-30 overtime victory in Baltimore.The Ravens, however, ended McCowns season almost two months later when the veteran quarterback suffered a broken collarbone. Baltimore got a measure of revenge with a 33-27 win.McCown acknowledged he will be facing a much different Baltimore team, especially with All-Pro linebacker Terrell Suggs back in the lineup after missing most of last season with a torn Achilles tendon.They obviously had a good game this weekend against Buffalo, McCown said prior to Wednesdays practice. They are flying around and they are doing a good job with their defense. They have good players and good leadership over there. It will be on us to take this gameplan and master it in these next three or four days and then go out and execute it against them.Despite McCowns success, the Ravens have won seven of its past eight games in Cleveland. Baltimore is looking to build on a hard-fought 13-7 victory over the Bills in the opener. The Ravens defense allowed just 160 total yards and completely Buffalos running attack, which was the best in the NFL last season.Quarrterback Joe Flacco does not appear to be hampered by the season-ending knee injury he suffered in 2015, which does not bode well for Cleveland. Azeem Victor Womens Jersey. Flacco is 13-2 all-time against the Browns and has thrown 19 touchdowns with seven interceptions.Baltimore might have suffered a setback with wide receiver Breshad Perriman, who missed practice Wednesday with a calf issue, according to the injury report released by the team. Earlier in the day, Baltimore coach John Harbaugh declined to elaborate on the injury.Perriman missed all of last season with a right knee injury. He then partially tore the ACL in his left knee in the final OTAs, but was able to return in late August.Perriman played 21 snaps in the regular season opener against the Bills and managed an impressive 35-yard reception where he leaped over Bills cornerback Stephon Gilmore. If Perriman is not active, rookie Chris Moore could take his place.The Browns will look for rookie defensive end Carl Nassib to keep the pressure on Flacco. In his regular season debut against Philadelphia, Nassib was effective and finished with three tackles, including a sack.The Ravens will counter with a pair of rookies of their own. First-round pick Ronnie Stanley is entrenched at left tackle, while Alex Lewis, a fourth-round selection, won the job at left guard. Last week, Baltimore became the first team since the 1995 Carolina Panthers to start a pair of rookies on the left side of the offensive line in a regular-season opener.The Ravens enter Week 2 fully healthy, which is already an encouraging sign. Baltimore had placed 20 players on IR last season, which played a large part in a disappointing 5-11 finish.Tight end Dennis Pitta is one those players that has battled injuries. He is returning to Cleveland for the first time since he suffered a second dislocated hip on Sept. 21, 2014, at FirstEnergy Stadium.Pitta looked solid in Baltimores opener and has not shown any lingering effects from the hip injury. He does not have any reservations about returning to Cleveland.The last time I was on that field, it wasnt the best memory, Pitta said. I dont anticipate really even thinking about it. Im just excited for another opportunity to be on the field and get a little bit better. NFL Jerseys Wholesale China Jerseys Wholesale Wholesale Stitched Jerseys China Jerseys Cheap Cheap Jerseys Online Cheap Jerseys Throwback Cheap NFL Autographed Jerseys ' ' '