The Washington Redskins have provide | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » CALISIA » Fehler auf der Seite
Mitglied
zhangzk Nov 2 '19

Dwayne Haskins with a familiar target to begin his NFL career.After selecting the Ohio State quarterback in Thursday’s first round D.J. Swearinger Jersey , the Redskins picked up another Buckeye Friday, taking wide receiver Terry McLaurin with the 76th overall pick in the draft.McLaurin caught 35 passes for 701 yards and 11 touchdowns during his senior season with the Buckeyes.The connection with his college teammate continued during a phone call Thursday night shortly after Washington used the 15th overall pick on Haskins.Haskins “actually told me he was going to push them to draft me,” McLaurin said during a conference call Friday night. “And you know so much can happen on draft day, I didn’t necessarily put too much merit into it. But I thought it was a possibility, so I’m just honored to be a part of this great organization.”Haskins never lobbied for McLaurin to Jay Gruden, but the Redskins head coach had previously recognized the chemistry during Ohio State’s pro day.“You could see them communicating,” Gruden said. “Terry runs every route like it’s his last route. .it’s a natural fit.”After selecting McLaurin Zach Brown Jersey , Washington traded the 96th overall pick to the Buffalo Bills for selections 112 and 131.Washington’s offense lacked speed last season. The 6-foot McLaurin ran a 4.35 40-time at the NFL Combine. The current depth chart lacks proven threats at receiver beyond Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson, who ended last season on Injured Reserve with a clavicle injury.“Eventually he’ll be a starter without a doubt,” Gruden said of McLaurin.The route to becoming a productive NFL receiver perhaps becomes smoother with a recognizable presence throwing McLaurin passes.Haskins “brings to the table that competitive edge. He makes my job a lot easier,” McLaurin said. “When I’m out of my breaks, the ball is already there. It’s in great spots for me to make plays,” McLaurin said. “I felt like we really complemented each other at Ohio State.”The Redskins also added defensive help Thursday by selecting defensive end Montez Sweat after trading second-round picks in 2019 and 2020 to the Indianapolis Colts for the 26th overall selection.“The way pro football is going, speed is the name of the game Matthew Ioannidis Jersey ,” Gruden said. “Adding Sweat is going to be a big help. Hopefully, (Saturday) we’ll add a couple of more guys that can really run on defense and maybe some more on offense.Washington enters Saturday’s final rounds with seven picks, including two in the fourth, fifth and seventh rounds. The Redskins traded their fourth-round selection last season for safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who signed a free agent contract with the Chicago Bears this off-season. Hogs Haven takes a look at 2019 NFL Draft prospects that could contribute to the Redskins"WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Looks Like Someone Has A Sixpack Of The MondaysDaily SlopRedskins RecapsReach It Finally?New,10commentsHogs Haven takes a look at 2019 NFL Draft prospects that could contribute to the RedskinsESTShareTweetShareShareMartez Ivey Has A Lot Of Potential; Can Bill Callahan Help Him Reach It Finally?Kim Klement-USA TODAY SportsMartez Ivey, OT/OGSchool: Florida | Conference: SECCollege Experience: Senior | Age: 23Height / Weight: 6-3 / 310 lbsProjected Draft Status: 6th RoundNFL Comparison: Desmond HarrisonCollege StatisticsN/APlayer OverviewMartez Ivey was a highly recruited 5-star prospect from Apopka Ziggy Hood Jersey , Florida. He was the #1 ranked offensive line prospect in the nation back in 2015. Ivey was known as a mauler coming out of high school and has experience starting in 44 games and playing in all contests during his time at Florida at both left tackle and left guard. For a guy that was known for his physicality coming out of high school Ivey has not exactly harnessed that skill or used it consistently. He is still developing his technique, his body, and his strength. Ivey has never quite lived up to his recruiting status though he has shown flashes. Some teams still ought to be intrigued by his his potential and may think that they can develop him much quicker than the staff at Florida. Ivey has some intriguing versatility as well. He has the height and length for a tackle and could continue his pro career there but some think he can perform better and more consistently at guard which he has experience at as well. Athletic and strength testing will be huge for Ivey and all eyes will be on how he performs during positional drills as well. StrengthsGood size and length for the position with decent athleticism. Plays with decent kick slide and arm extension to help keep opponents at bay. Size and length make it harder for guys to go through or around him. Has 35 inch arms and also experience playing both positions on the left side of the OL.Is much better as a run blocker than a pass protector. His functional strength is better in this application where he can use his size to plow through and create space for running backs. Looks ok on runs where he has to pull and block in space.Seems to have good awareness is not easily fooled by stunts/delayed blitzes generally makes good choices when passing opponents off while heading to the next assignment.WeaknessesTechnique is just a mess, footwork and leverage are pretty bad and I’m slightly shocked he has been effective as he has at this level. No punch to speak up in pass protection and he may be an outright liability at the next level. Hand placement is hit or miss. Pad level and balance can easily compromise him bends at the waist - a mess. Plays with hesitancy he is a step slow with almost everything and defenses can take advantage of that and blow him up along with the play.Functional strength needs to improve. Consistency.Let’s see his work (#73 LT):More Martez Ivey videosHow He Would Fit On The RedskinsBy now you may be wondering “Why?”. It looks like Ivey got to Gainesville and stayed pretty much the same player he was in high school. While it is certainly a reflection upon him to me it is more damning to the competency of the coaching staff for a 5-star guy not to be developed technically. With no reports of Ivey lacking effort or work ethic there is something else afoot. I think there is a strong argument that can be made about how much Ivey can improve with professional help at the highest level. He needs to get stronger but almost all of his issues result in not having the technical proficiency to consistently succeed. Luckily you can study and practice that and get better. While some may not have the confidence I have in the Redskins offensive line coach I don’t hold anything against Bill Callahan for not making Tyler Catalina an All-Pro. Callahan is known for getting offensive lineman technically ready. Other qualities like strength, football IQ, nastiness are largely up to the player to develop. For that reason I think a late round investment in a player like Ivey for positional depth isn’t a terrible idea. If everything goes well he may start living up to his potential and very well may become a serviceable player in a couple of seasons. While I think it would be nice to continue to cross train Ivey at tackle and at guard I think his best fit on this team is inside especially if he improves his strength where he can use his size and improve leverage to open up holes in the run game.