ut that stuff. You can talk all you want to. Have fun with that. I aint with the talking. I play ball. I just w | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
q123 Dez 28 '19
Maggie Crawford was deep in the Wyoming wilderness in the spring of 2013, leading a trip with the National Outdoors Leadership School (NOLS), when she started forgetting peoples names. Jim Ritcher Jersey Retro .She was sick to her stomach and somehow also hungry -- hoarding food, eating anything anyone left out but still losing drastic amounts of weight. Finally, she had to admit something was wrong. She used the emergency satellite phone to call headquarters. Then she hiked 20 miles to meet up with the refueling truck to begin the long trip back home to California.For Crawford, 28, it was also the start of a whole new life -- she just didnt know it yet. I definitely had diabetes then, but I had no idea, she says.Until that moment, Crawford had always taken advantage of her good health. She and her now-husband, Timbo Stillinger, spent a year bumming around New Zealand after college, chasing adventure and sleeping in tents. Then they moved back to the U.S. and lived in a decked-out van, hiking, skiing and climbing every day. They surfed and ran ultramarathons. In the fall of 2012, Crawford was training to break the womens record for summiting all of Californias 14ers -- peaks over 14,000 feet. She planned to climb all 15 mountains in only five days.But she got sick partway through the attempt, could barely crawl out of her sleeping bag, and bailed on the record. She assumed she just had giardia (a parasite) and, as soon as she could, she headed right back out to join that fateful NOLS trip. Instead of feeling like her normal self, though, she spent months being sick.After she self-evacuated from Wyoming, got a ride with the refueling truck, and made her way back to Santa Barbara, it took only one visit to the doctor to get a diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes.After the fact, looking back, it was a lot more obvious. There were all these things, small chronic issues, we were wondering about that then made sense, Stillinger says.Type 1 diabetes meant Crawfords pancreas had stopped producing insulin. This can be caused by a combination of genetics and her bodys own immune system reacting to harmful viruses or bacteria. Crawfords diabetes probably was triggered by the bacteria she picked up during her 14ers record attempt, but it also runs in her family. Her cousin, a professional cyclist, was diagnosed just before she was.Diabetics arent able to process the sugar they eat; they cant turn it from glucose in the bloodstream into energy. That means they have to give themselves insulin shots and must carefully manage their diet and stress levels, which can also increase blood glucose.They kind of just sent me home with insulin and needles. It was terrifying, Crawford says. Equally terrifying was that this seemed to mean the end to all of her adventures. Type 1 diabetes doesnt go away, and she didnt want to spend the rest of her life without climbing another mountain or surfing another wave. Instead, she set about trying to figure out how to be healthy and happy.She just kind of took the initiative from day one, developed a plan, and stuck with it. Its been pretty impressive to watch, Stillinger says.Fortunately for Crawford, she knew where to start. As an undergrad at UC Berkeley, she studied nutrition and worked in a lab doing diabetes research. She called up her old boss, and soon she was connected to a whole world of Type 1 diabetics who still ride their bikes across mountains and surf every morning, who still do more stuff than most people who dont have it, Stillinger says. They helped her figure out what works and what definitely doesnt.First up: a little stability.I thought, All right, we probably shouldnt live in a van anymore, she jokes, if for no other reason than her medicine needed to stay cold and its hard to keep things cold while living in a van. But the diagnosis also helped her come to terms with the idea of creating permanence and sustainability in her life.In the year after her diagnosis, she and Stillinger became engaged. He started grad school, and she started a job working in public health. She then got accepted into a PhD program at UC San Diego, where she now works with mostly Type 2 diabetics on health behaviors -- hoping to make sure no one has to go through the same uncertain time she went through after her diagnosis. The two of them moved into a house outside San Diego and adopted a dog, whom Crawford then trained to detect -- with his nose -- when Crawfords blood sugar is high.But the pair didnt get too domestic. Crawfords next step was figuring out what adventures still made sense, and that meant finding a way to manage her diabetes.She now eats a vegan, gluten-free and generally low-fat diet. It helps her keep inflammation down and makes her body more sensitive to the insulin she takes. But it took some trial and error to learn what kinds of foods keep her blood sugar fairly steady. Apples, for example, though tasty, vegan and gluten-free, dont work well for her.And it took some experimenting to figure out how to do what she still wanted to do. When she goes into the mountains, theres no way to get medical help if her blood sugar gets too low, so her doctors told her to keep her blood sugar a little high during long trips. When she runs ultramarathons, her blood sugar will be elevated for a week after. Learning these things was part of a process.She also has learned not to push her body past the point of safety. Instead of extreme events, the couple has started doing shorter trips, which are easier to manage, but with harder and more intense efforts mixed in. She probably wont go for the 14ers record again, but she is testing herself with new challenging climbs.Crawford runs each morning to help manage her insulin levels, and when she rides her bike to the beach to surf, all the lifeguards know its her because of the bananas she leaves sitting in the sand and the gel she has taped inside her wetsuit.Having a community that knows and supports her, and that she also gives back to, has been a valuable part of her post-diabetic life. When she wears her continuous blood glucose monitor -- a recent development that has revolutionized her ability to manage things while climbing or running or biking -- other diabetics will see it and come talk to her. She regularly talks with new diabetics and gives them advice or tips to navigate the same process she went through after diagnosis.It has not slowed her down at all. If anything, its lit the fire even brighter to do more things, Stillinger says. Its a burden for sure, but I think our lives are better now. Theyre healthier and more fulfilled. And not any less fun. Jordan Franks Jersey Retro . Hargreaves began his career in 2008 with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and has played with the Edmonton Eskimos and last season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Lloyd Harrison Jersey Retro .Y. -- Sabres forward Drew Stafford has witnessed plenty of turmoil during his eight seasons in Buffalo. https://www.cheapjerseyslines.com/bud-cooper-jersey-retro/ . Clarke was injured while practicing on the Doha Golf Club range after the pro-am on Tuesday. The Northern Irishman arrived at the course on Wednesday hoping to start, but after hitting a few balls on the practice putting green Clarke advised officials he was not fit to play. Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn dismissed Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Leodis McKelvins description of the Falcons as a front-runner on Monday.We are for damn sure not going to allow anyone else to determine our team identity, Quinn told reporters. Weve got a tough outfit. We know what we stand for as a club, and well leave it at that.After the Eagles?24-15 victory?over the Falcons at Lincoln Financial Field, McKelvin said Philadelphias defense saw a weakness to exploit against Atlanta, which boasted the NFLs top offense.I was telling the defense, this is the type of team, they are a front-runner. They are a front-running team, McKelvin said. If you go out there and make some stops, they eventually are going to be dying down.Falcons free safety Ricardo Allen echoed Quinns thoughts that the Falcons dont dwell on opinions outside their building in comments to ESPNs Vaughn McClure.Everybodys got thheir opinion, man. Bruce Thornton Jersey Retro. Theres always going to be someone who comes out and says something to try and challenge another team, Allen told ESPN. We dont worry about people on the outside. We dont worry about nobody else. We just worry about ourselves. We worry about who we are as a team because we know who we are. And we know when were playing really good ball, were one of the best around.We stay in our locker room. We dont worry about when anybody else talks about us. We dont even bring that stuff up. I didnt even hear about [McKelvins comments], so I dont even really care about that stuff. You can talk all you want to. Have fun with that. I aint with the talking. I play ball. I just want to play ball, man.The NFC South-leading Falcons (6-4) have a bye this week. ' ' ' ty Oren Burks said. Weve gotten a taste of that, and were hungry for more.---Online:AP College Football website: www.collegefootball.ap.org and AP-Top 25 Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/AP-Top25---Follow Teresa M. Walker at www.twitter.com/teresamwalker ' ' '