three walks in a career-high 115 pitches, stranded two | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
corse178 Sep 12 '17
NEW YORK -- WNBA President Lisa Borders applauds the leagues players for taking a stance on social issues. Cheap Cleveland Cavaliers Jerseys . She just wishes the activism was kept off the court.The New York, Phoenix and Indiana teams and players were fined this week for wearing black warmup shirts that addressed the recent shooting by and against police. WNBA rules state that uniforms may not be altered in any way.Borders spent the past two weeks talking with the union and its executive council, trying to come up with ways that both the league and its players could constructively address the Black Lives Matters movement. Nothing concrete was decided.We were making every effort to engage our players, she told The Associated Press by phone Friday night. We made an effort to support them and we were trying to get them to come to the table to have a conversation. The players have an open invitation with the league.Our players are important to us. We believe in them. We want them to be the people they are and were proud of them. We want to make sure they play well on the court and they are happy off the court.Right now, the players arent happy.On social media and in postgame interviews, players are showing their solidarity after the league fined the Liberty, Mercury and Fever players $500 each this week for wearing plain black warmup shirts that violated the leagues uniform policy. The normal fine for a uniform violation is $200. Each team also was fined $5,000.The Rev. Al Sharpton said Saturday his organization, the National Action Network, will pay the $500 fines. He called the penalty unacceptable.Washington Mystics players had shirts saying Black Lives Matters in the locker room after their game Friday night. Seattle Storm and Minnesota Lynx players tweeted out pictures of their teams wearing black shirts featuring a Martin Luther King Jr. quote before their game. They didnt wear those shirts on the court to avoid getting fined.Were sick and tired of waking up every morning and seeing something like this (shootings) happen, Mystics player Ivory Latta said after her team played its final game before the Olympic break. We need change and we have a platform to speak. Dont tell us we have a platform and then you penalize us for our platform for speaking and showing our actions. Thats not right.Borders, on the job for four months, disagreed with the notion that the league was suppressing its players voices.We want the players to know that we have supported them in the past, support them today and will continue to support them in the future, she said. Were not trying to stop them from expressing themselves.The league just doesnt want them to do it on the court if it violates the WNBA uniform rules. The shirts that the players were fined for wearing were the Adidas brand -- the official outfitter of the league.The Adidas black shirts are not regulation, Borders said. They are sponsor appropriate, but the Adidas plain black shirt would not be a regulation-issued shirt.The union felt it was unnecessary for the league to issue a memo this week reminding the players of the uniform policy. Because of that memo, the players and union werent surprised by the fine. They were just disappointed.This isnt about a shirt, but that was the starting point, Terri Jackson, the new operations director of the WNBA Players Association, told the AP. The players want to blog about (Black Lives Matter), tweet about it, do videos. They want to raise visibility and keep the conversation going. They dont want this to die out.Jackson said the unions legal team is looking into what it can do about the fines, which she called excessive. She said the union proposed letting the players have a limited time to express their opinions on the court.We talked about doing it pregame at the 10-minute mark or the 15-minute mark and theyd go back and put on their regulation warmup. Wear the regulation warmups for the national anthem and life goes on. That was declined by the league.While the league begins its monthlong break Saturday, its top players will be playing in Rio at the Olympics. U.S. coach Geno Auriemma said he was proud of their social activism.I respect Tina (Charles) and the players in the WNBA for their concern and their voices and the passion that they have and for their beliefs. I really do, he said, citing the former UConn player and Liberty star for wearing her warmup shirt inside-out before Thursdays game. Im really proud of some of my former players and the way theyve stepped forward and spoken their conscience and express their feelings.The league was still undecided on whether Charles would be fined.Auriemma said if players take actions at the Olympics it would be a difficult balancing act.As far as USA Basketball is concerned, you know, thats a very delicate subject, he said. Obviously each player has an opportunity to be who they want and say what they feel, but at the same time, you are representing the United States of America, and you are part of the Olympic team. ... Im sure itll come up, and well have to deal with it.He said the matter would largely fall to U.S. Olympic and basketball authorities.Both the league and the union hope for constructive conversations during the break. Borders said shell be in Rio for two weeks and will participate in the monthly conference call between the two groups on Aug. 1. She missed the call on July 11 when the shirts initially were discussed.I love this league and its players. Id never do anything to harm the league, franchises or players, Borders said. I want them to understand were here to support them. Weve hit a bump in a road. This too shall pass. Cheap Cavaliers Jerseys . -- Quarterback Will Finch threw for 252 yards and three touchdowns, and Yannick Harou rushed in two scores as the No. Cheap Cavaliers Jerseys China . -- Arizona raced out to a big lead and did not back off, hitting the accelerator instead. http://www.cheapcavaliersjerseysauthentic.com/ . A big centre with all the tools to be an elite player, Johansen paced the Blue Jackets with a standout game Saturday night. He had a goal and two assists for a career-high three points as Columbus beat the New York Islanders 5-2 to snap a five-game losing streak. ATLANTA -- Braves ace Julio Teheran doesnt mind missing out on a winning decision when Atlanta squeaks out a rare home victory.Whenever I go out there, I just try to do my job and give the team a chance to win, just concentrate on that, he said. If I get the win Im happy with that, and if I dont get the win and the team still wins, Im happy with that.Chase dArnaud singled with two outs in the ninth inning off Gonzalez Germen and Atlanta beat the Colorado Rockies 1-0 on Sunday to avoid a three-game sweep.The Braves are just 14-36 at Turner Field and have baseballs worst overall record, but they snapped a four-game skid to Colorado.Following dominant outings through the seventh by Teheran and Rockies starter Jon Gray, the Braves used four relievers and the Rockies one before Germen (2-1) gave up Ender Inciartes leadoff single in the ninth.Anthony Recker bunted over Inciarte, who advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on dArnauds liner to left field.Teheran scattered three hits, walked one and struck out five. Pitching for the majors weakest offense, the two-time All-Star remained winless with a 2.90 ERA in 11 home starts.Teheran didnt allow a baserunner until Tony Wolters singled in the fourth. That was all Colorado could muster until Charlie Blackmon singled with two outs in the sixth.Daniel Delscaso was the third Rockie to get into scoring position with a double in the seventh. Cristhian Adames, the next batter, drew a four-pitch walk before Brandon Barnes grounded out.Conditions were tough with a 102-degree heat index.It was getting me at the end, but I was really focused in the game to give my team a chance to win, Teheran said. Im just happy the way we finished.Jim Johnson (2-5) gave up onne walk in two-thirds of an inning to get the win. Cheap Cavaliers Jerseys Authentic. Gray, who allowed five hits and three walks in a career-high 115 pitches, stranded two runners in the seventh with his fifth strikeout. The rookie has a 3.11 ERA and 64 strikeouts in his last 10 games.The first couple of innings I was kind of trying to find my