, Newton said on Sunday. I plan on talking to Commi | Forum

Position des Themas: Forum-Startseite » User Foren » Allgemeine Fragen
Mitglied
wzh123 Mär 14 '19
TORONTO -- Ralph Krueger is the head coach of Team Europe at the World Cup of Hockey, taking time away from his day job as the chairman of Southampton FC of the Premier League. Cheap Wizards Jerseys . He was previously the head coach of the Swiss national ice hockey team and the Edmonton Oilers during the 2012-13 NHL season. (The Oilers fired him via Skype while he was sitting on his daughters bed.) He also served as an adviser for Team Canada during its successful gold-medal run at the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014.Krueger sat down with ESPN.com on Wednesday for an exclusive interview.A lot of us watching you in action here, one of our major questions has been, how could things have not worked out for this guy in Edmonton? What went wrong with the Oilers?When youre a head coach, there are always multiple levels. One would be, first and foremost, your knowledge of the game and your ability to work with the team. But you always need to fit culturally. I have a certain style culturally as a leader. Obviously, I was a mismatch, because we were moving on the hockey side in the right direction. There was no question the group was just beginning to jell out of that lockout season. And the organization decided to go with a different style of leadership. I did not take that personally ever, which was extremely important in my life after. Im a project person; Im a person who likes to finish projects. Im very loyal to the projects that I commit to, and that was the first one in my life as a leader that was cut abruptly short. But the world has been kind to me after that. I would say I was just a cultural mismatch to where that club wanted to go.You have spoken about how your positive attitude coming out of that maybe allowed that phone call from Mike Babcock to happen. [Babcock invited Krueger to join the Canadian mens hockey team in an advisory role before the Sochi Olympics.]Oh, for sure. There is no way he calls me if I turn negative on that. People always watch for your reaction in those situations. ... I just remember making a conscious decision right there and then to move forward. I tell everybody that winners are born in difficult times. That was the most difficult situation Id ever been in as a leader. Im sure Mike felt that energy over here and then offered me the Sochi role, which kind of catapulted me into a lot of whats happened since then.In hindsight, how important was Mikes phone call in terms of your career?Three months later, Southampton approaches me. Southampton might not have happened if I didnt take on the Canadian job. ... I said, You know what, Im going to do this. I want to win a gold medal. So my full focus became: I want to go home with a gold medal from the Olympic Games. That gave me the space to be available for Southampton. If Mike doesnt pause my career, the space for everything else isnt made. Team Europe doesnt happen, Southampton doesnt happen. You wouldnt know it at the time, but because I committed to [the Olympics], I took a step away instead of just taking the next job, which most guys do. Most guys just jump into the next job and then try to work back to being a head coach. I just didnt feel that was the right thing for me. I was too invested in Edmonton. There was pain, of course. And the main pain was how much Id committed to those kids for three years, and how close I was to them. I only realize it now when I run into [Jeff] Petry on the streets of Montreal or [Ryan] Nugent-Hopkins parents in the hotel here, and were embracing each other three years later. Im realizing now -- I saw Taylor Hall at the world championships and Jordan Eberle -- I see how close we actually were. That was the reason I couldnt coach anywhere else. I was just too connected to those kids.What made you say yes to Southampton? Apart from the passion of the fan bases and the importance of the sports to their national cultures, were talking about pretty different games. What made you say yes?After 25 years of coaching in hockey, and again the scars from the Edmonton experience -- Id be lying if I said there werent scars there -- the freshness of it, the difficulty of it, and the growth opportunity of it. ... There was a fear there that kind of excited me. It was crazy that I took that on as a non-football person. The club was in complete, total disarray in regard to its leadership structure. Its culture was a mess at that time. My wife wasnt really sure what I was doing. I think part of me throwing myself into that, I was doing Sochi and the Olympics, so I didnt feel the risks were terminal because it was parallel. I started in October, the Olympics were in February, but we didnt announce my chairmanship until March. Somehow the comfort of Sochi and still being involved in hockey gave me the courage to take this on. I was thinking if in six months the English drive me out of the country, I shouldnt be dead here as a professional. It was a calculated risk. Sochi gave me that opportunity to dip my foot into those waters. As I kind of hoped, by winning the gold there were some NHL offers, but by that time I felt Southampton was going to work. Its the first time Ive actually talked about this. Im realizing now that Sochi was a big reason why I didnt -- its not like I just dove in at the end of the pool. I kind of played in two worlds at the same time at quite a high level.Yeah. Fairly high. The English Premier League and the Olympics. Those are fairly high levels.Winning the gold medal actually helped me in Southampton. I came in as the chairman and they saw I was a consultant with Team Canada. And the English media, in January, was kind of chuckling at me. In March, they werent.Is the gold medal hanging on your Southampton office door?Its actually not. Im funny that way. Its at home, in my home in Switzerland. That gold medal is just in my heart. I rode the elevator yesterday with Carey Price and Sidney Crosby. ... I warmed up Price the first day [in Sochi], and then it kind of worked. I ended up warming him up so much that I had really bad golf elbow. I couldnt move my arm for six months after the Olympics. I have a terrible shot, but I think he kind of liked it, because he didnt know where the pucks were going. It became a bit of a joke. My elbow was my big sacrifice to win a gold medal.So was it strange being in an elevator with them, coaching the opposing team?No. No. It was warm. It was very warm to be in the elevator with them. Now, of course Im always with the team Im with. I love Team Europe and we want to beat them. If this Team Europe experience is my last hockey experience, I couldnt ask for anything better. Its just been so much fun.I would be remiss if I didnt ask you about the Sam Allardyce situation and what appears to be a burgeoning corruption crisis in English football.Oh my God. I have to tell you, really, absolutely shocked and shuddered. Our whole board is shocked and upset by it. Multiple messages through the day yesterday and this morning. Weve been a club thats been driving, wanting to get control of the evolving agent world around us, and we believe were going to have ears now. Southampton is built on a completely honest and open culture and on values. The reason I took the job was the unbelievable value structure and foundation of our owner, Katharina Liebherr. ... Thats why I embraced this, was to be able to lead and be the de facto owner of an organization where it was driven by culture. So were extremely upset by this. We see it as a shocking evolution that -- I wouldnt say were so na?ve to believe that this didnt exist, but we did think it wasnt part of our English football culture. Were going to use this, for sure, as a club, to fight for change and to fight for more regulation. We are all for regulation, and we are one of the most disciplined clubs in English football in terms of the way we deal with agents and youth academy players. Staying within the rules is something we really -- everything we do is based on that. We will react, for sure. Its going to become a major thing for me when I get back. Absolutely top of the agenda.You made it very clear at the beginning of this tournament that you were not using this to come back to hockey. But Las Vegas [the NHL expansion team], because youre a project guy, seems like an interesting opportunity for someone like you. Would you be open to such an opportunity?Its a good question. My answer is the same: Im always really present where Im present. Right now Im here with Team Europe. I believe the players never felt the chairman of Southampton in that dressing room. Maybe away from it--Like when you were watching the West Ham game in the room?OK, it might have maybe been there a little bit. I tell you quite honestly, once Im back in the Southampton environment, theres so much to do there. I love the project. ... But how could I say never? Ive never said, No, no, no, never. Ever. What Ive said is that right now Im looking forward to being the chairman of the Southampton Football Club, and that remains. This doesnt change that. I knew I loved hockey. I never said I didnt. People say, Youre in football now, so that means you don t like hockey. Ive had people calling me a traitor.Youre allowed to have multiple loves.Yes. I love to go to the theater in London. I love music. I have a Van Morrison concert at the end of October thats a big green mark on my calendar. The question is always, when you speak about the NHL, people are branding me as a coach. Im now the chairman of Southampton. So possibly theres another entry someday, in a different kind of role. Im open. As long as Southampton is my growth opportunity, I will stay there. If the time comes for change, where and when, who knows?A lot of your reputation -- I know the Canadian gold medal is a big exception -- but a lot of your reputation is leading overachieving underdogs. Thursday, once again youre in that role. What do you expect out of your team, and do you ever look over at the Canadian bench and think, I wouldnt mind standing behind those guys?You know what? Really I dont. Ive always measured winning by potential. Always. Always. The group youre with, how close to their potential do they get? Thats the marker. Ive never been a person focused on only measuring success in the superficial realm. Ive never been that. Ive always been about potential. We started with Team Europe on Sept. 1. The only thing I asked of our staff was lets create an environment where this group goes home and feels like they reached their potential. I dont think weve reached it yet. Looking at the game tomorrow, I believe very confidently youre going to see another step tomorrow. Whether that gives us the W or not, Im not sure. But we are going to have a serious shot to win. Womens Wizards Jerseys .H. -- Matt Kenseth made it 2 for 2 in the Chase, holding off teammate Kyle Busch to win Sunday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Issuf Sanon Jersey . In Europe, top teams seem to be largely happy with their squads after spending nearly $1 billion in the off-season. And although English league clubs are unlikely to splash cash in January, Arsenal and Chelsea could be tempted to strengthen their squads with new strikers. http://www.cheapwizardsjerseys.com/ . After Mondays hard-fought loss, the wait seemed longer than usual. Getting set to go their separate ways for a short Christmas break, the Raptors coach credited his team for their effort on a seemingly impossible three-game road trip, urging them to build on that success when they get back to work at the end of the week. CHARLOTTE, N.C. --?Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton spoke with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell by phone on Tuesday in regard to no-calls on late hits hes taking in the pocket, a league source told ESPN.com.The reigning NFL MVP said after Sundays 30-20 win against the Arizona Cardinals that he planned to talk to Goodell about an issue that has made him feel unsafe in the pocket.Carolina coach Ron Rivera spoke to Goodell on Monday, a league source told ESPNs Ed Werder. Rivera said at his Monday news conference that he fully supports Newtons complaints about not being fairly treated as a pocket passer.He added that he has had ongoing discussions with the league about the situation.Its more about making sure he is getting the equal treatment and the protection he deserves as a quarterback in the pocket, Rivera said. I have reached out to the league and the league has responded. And most recently I have reached out to the commissioner and he has responded and well continue to work through this and see how it goes.Newton reached what he called a breaking point after officials did not call a roughing the passer penalty when Arizona defensive tackle Calais Campbell hit him below the knees on a pass play in the third quarter.The league has since admitted that should have been a penalty, a source told Werder.Defensive end William Hayes, whose Los Angeles Rams will face the Panthers on Sunday, said he understands where Newton is coming from but it wont change the way the Rams attack the quarterback.I think some of those hits he was talking about were kind of questionable, and I think if it was other quarterbacks they wouldve been called, Hayes said. But thats not for me to say. But to say were not going to try to go after him, that would be false.Rivera says Newton is getting the same kind of treatment in the NFL that Shaquille ONeal got in the NBA because at 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds Newton is bigger than most quarterbacks.Newton hasnt had a roughing the passer penalty enforced on an opponent against him since the 2014 season, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He had onne called in the opener against Denver, but that was negated by an intentional grounding penalty. Jeff Green Jersey. es a bigger guy for that position, as opposed to some of the smaller guys, Rivera said on Monday. When they get hit, they roll around to the ground. When he gets hit, he absorbs them and it doesnt look as bad.I think sometimes that might be part of the reason that he doesnt get the calls he deserves or should get.NFL Hall of Famers Kevin Greene and Brett Favre said on Tuesday that Newton should stop complaining about late hits in the pocket. Favre said he was told all the way back to high school that it was the responsibility of the coach, not the player, to complain about officiating.Greene told ESPN.com, after reviewing the Campbell hit, that it simply was a matter of a defensive player doing his job just as Newton was trying to do his job.Thats just football, Greene said. You never saw Joe Montana and Dan Marino and John Elway bitching about getting hit too much in the pocket.Cam shouldnt be doing that. He is a football player. Everybody knows hes running that zone-read stuff, and hes a runner, too. ... The game is physical. Its played by tough men. This is professional football and its predicated on physical brutality. Thats going to occur to you, Cam, whether youre inside the pocket or outside the pocket.Newton has missed one game this season after receiving a concussion in the fourth quarter of a Week 4 loss at Atlanta. That occurred when the quarterback was attempting to score on a 2-point conversion run.Newtons complaint is that defenders are hitting him late while hes a pocket passer and that officials are not protecting him as they are other quarterbacks.He said that has taken the fun out of football for him.Enough is enough, Newton said on Sunday. I plan on talking to Commissioner Goodell about this. Its not fun, and I dont know what I have to do.Information from ESPN Rams reporter Alden Gonzalez contributed to this report. ' ' '